Aquariums the complete guide to freshwater and saltwater aquariums

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ran out of space for the authors, so it is here instead. By Thierry Maitre-Allain and Christian Piednoir.

This is the first book review in this section.

The title pretty much covers what the book is about but I'll go into further detail. It tells you how to set up an aqaurium, both Freshwater and Saltwater, as well as telling you how many gallons your tank is based on common tank sizes. It also has a short but detailed disease section. It lets the hobbist know what the maintenance schedule for both Freshwater and Saltwater. It tells you what the common locations of popular fish is, whether it be central america or brackish water or even coral reefs, it describes the nitrogen cycle, different things that can affect your water, as well as what different filters will do to your tank(not name brand stuff). Then it goes into a section on how to install aquariums, and what would be suitable for the decorations. It tells you how to acclimatize new fish to your tank. Then there is a main section/chapter on fish and plants, which goes into detail of what fish are from what family and there anatomy as well as their behavior, feeding, etc. After all that it fianlly goes into the freshwater fish section which describes the fishes size, how many per tank(average sized tanks), where they are origanally from, diet, a picture of the fish, and for most, a short paragraph or two on distinct behavior of the fish. It is all divided into the different families and is sorted by alphabetic order. After that, it has a section on breeding and caring for Freshwater fish. After that it goes into saltwater, it has the same info on these fish as there was for the Freshwater fish. Finally, it goes into the plants and it shows some pictures of plants, their difficulty level(3 levels, 1-easy, 2-medium, 3-hard), it says how big the plants grow and more imortant stuff on the plants.

I paid $39.95CDN + taxes(13%) at Chapters.

The good things about it are that it has all this info on what fish go good with what and how to set up aquariums as well as a short blurb on most fish on what they need and their mating behavior. There are a lot more pros but I'm getting tired.

The cons are there is a few things wrong with the sizes of maybe 2-3 fish as well as it doesn't really help out the Saltwater hobbist that much. Other than that, I would recomend buying it.

It was a great investment on my part and it has helped me help others with stuff I would have normally tried and stay away from.

Sorry for the long review but it is a review.
Tom

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nice review - thanks Tom.

Mike

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem. Got to set the bar somewhere.
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good review.

I also agree on the Saltwater part, isn't very helpful or accurate, though nice colorful pictures.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom