Aquariums Losing Heat Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JGombs99, Apr 14, 2018.

1. J

JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Two of my three aquariums are losing heat, and I'm trying to figure out why. At first, I didn't think they were actually losing heat, and I just thought my digital thermometers needed new batteries. I changed them, but that wasn't it. My next thought is maybe the heaters were broken during a power outage I had several weeks ago. Could a power outage cause heaters to lose proper calibration, or to even stop working? I've noticed the heaters kicking on, though, so I don't think they're completely not working at all, yet something is definitely going on. Just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts.

2. Fshloover

Fshloover Valued Member Member

I have a few suggestions on what you could do . To test if your heaters are working you could put the heaters in cups and after a while test the temperature and see if it changed. Or you could put some plastic wrap over the top of the aquarium to keep the heat in like a green house. Or mabey your aquarium is next to an exterier wall or a window and that might make it cold if it is I might move it. Good luck:)

3. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

What type of heaters do you have? They can need recalibrating. Has anyone changed the thermostat in your place?

I could have killed my husband. I couldn't figure out what my tanks were so cold yesterday, then I went upstairs and discovered he'd left a window open. Ugh.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks for the replies so far! The temp hasn't changed in my house compared to what it was when the temp in my tanks was holding steady. Also, the tanks haven't changed locations. No windows are open, etc.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Ok, I've been able to confirm that the issue is not my heaters, but instead, it's my digital thermometers. Two of three seem to have malfunctioned (and it's not the batteries). I'm wondering what type of thermometers folks use and recommend.

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I use the cheap, drop in the water ones with a suction cup to keep them in place, same thing I use to test temperature of tap water.

7. OP
    OP
    J

Thanks! I may need to try these. I'd say two of three digital ones not working isn't a great track record. One was less than a year old!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice