Aquariums Full Of Mystery Plants

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Lacey D, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

I have been terrible at keeping track of what my plants are, and most came only labeled as "tissue culture" or "bunch" plants. So...help?

Starting with the bunch plants, Plant #1 (on the left) has long leaves with the tendency to throw out roots at every leaf junction (petiole). Lately some of the bunch have taken to floating, with root growth going like mad, despite my attempts to make them root into my soil. It has experienced rapid growth in my aquarium.
    Plant #2 is the one with really long, thin leaves coming out in rosettes (look down by the driftwood, just to the left of center). In the store the assistant showed me what they can grow into--bunched and thickly leafed stems upwards of 2 feet tall. This one has remained rooted into my substrate without issue. It has grown moderately.
    (I know what the other two plants are here--peace lily roots and java moss :p)
    IMG_20180607_195748[1].jpg

And the tissue culture plant:
    Plant #3 - has a bulb? long, long leaves which are crinkled and dark in my water conditions.
    (also, I know that is an anubias in front of it, but no clue what kind?)
    IMG_20180601_172101.jpg

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723 Well Known Member Member

The bulb plant is a type of aponogeton maybe crispus.

3. MrBryan723

If this is the bottom left of center plant it's a bronze wendtii.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Thanks!!

5. OP
    OP
    Lacey D

Ah, apparently it's the "red" variety:   Thanks again!

6. MrBryan723

For sure. Also random info about them. They flower at the top of the tank.

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

So the last one isn’t an aponogeton. Aponogeton are bulb plant, not cultivated in tissue culture. So if bulb aponogeton, but no bulb and /or tc It’s a crypt of some sort, check flowgrow from a exact species matchup... possibly a crispulata, undulata, etc... (keep in mind some can be green or red depending on conditions)
    The first plant is hygrophila polysperma. Not sure I can make out the second plant? Could you post a close up of it only?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice