Aquariums as gifts

Frisbee

So, my cousin lives a half hour away. She has studied botany and biology, and we love talking about plants together. She has shown some interest in aquariums, but hasn’t had the courage to buy one her self (she’s 24). She’s the stay at home type, and she loves plants of all kinds (terrestrial and aquatic).

In short, her birthday is in a couple days, and I am considering getting her an aquarium. I’m doubting my self though. Is gifting someone an aquarium a good idea? I was thinking about getting just a 5-10 gallon rimless and maybe some nice substrate. I honestly don’t know her super well though, so I don’t really know what her tastes are, or if she genuinely wants an aquarium.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

kansas

I wouldn't get anyone an aquarium unless I was sure they want it. The smallest tank is a commitment to a lot work over time.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Ask her if she'd like one. Not all surprises are good ones.

Upvote 0

Frisbee

I think I’ve got a wonderful idea, I’ll buy her a petco gift card and point her towards the aquatic plants and rimless aquariums. If she doesn’t want an aquarium, then she could spend the money on her cats.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I think I’ve got a wonderful idea, I’ll buy her a petco gift card and point her towards the aquatic plants and rimless aquariums. If she doesn’t want an aquarium, then she could spend the money on her cats.
That sounds great!!

Upvote 0

Archangel8

I think it's a great idea. She don't have to make fish or critters in there if she doesn't choose. But a tank for just plants would be amazing none the less

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

if she doesn’t want to have any fish it could be a invertebrate tank with shrimp and snails. Involuntary ask her randomly, dont do it too often as that will give it away. For example, say your talking to her and ask if she ever planned on getting an aquarium and if so would she like fish?

Upvote 0

Frisbee

if she doesn’t want to have any fish it could be a invertebrate tank with shrimp and snails. Involuntary ask her randomly, dont do it too often as that will give it away. For example, say your talking to her and ask if she ever planned on getting an aquarium and if so would she like fish?
Oh I’ve already done that. I’ve gathered that if she was to have an aquarium, she would probably want something like a 10 gallon planted tank with sparkling gouramis or something. I’m just not sure if she actually wants to get a tank yet or not.

Upvote 0

AJE

The gift card is a good idea

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
GuineaPigster
Replies
Views
Fishyfishyfishman
  • leaadams