Aquarium with quiet filter recommendations.

ara
Could you, guys, recommend a good fish tank with a quiet filter. What brands are the best? I have 1 Betta. Thanks a lot.

BoSox Fan7
How about this its quiet and worth the price it airates itself and has a really good filter. It would be great for your betta and you could get dwarf cories or otos to go with him too.

Barbrella
For quite some time, I've had the MiniBow 5 gal tanks with the internal Whisper filter which is nearly completely silent.

It comes in very attractive colours as well.

King_Snuggles
it the one I have and I have it right next to my bed and don't here the filter at all.

if you want to see some pictures.

PrettyPink08
I got a 10 gallon tank from WalMart and it came w/ a filter for about $30 and the heater was about an additional $15 and its a really good quality tank! I only found it in store though, not online

ara
Thank you for the replies! 2 weeks ago I got this tank from Wal-mart . It was so noisy, my fish freaked out (he got used to live in 1 gallon bowl). That's why I am looking for something really quiet.
I read that tanks with the eclipse system are not good for bettas, the system creates too powerful water flow. Is that true?

chickadee
All of my fish live in Eclipse systems and while the bettas need help to start with to deal with the increased water flow there is a very simple and inexpensive way about it. This is called a baffle.

The pictures of the baffle made out of a simple piece of plastic whether from part of a 2 liter soda bottle or a piece of plastic craft canvas is going to follow. It is attached to the filter outflow area with 2 large paper clips and it is very easily made and removed to be cleaned when the tank is cleaned. When the betta has had a chance to build up their swimming muscles they get used to the flow and actually will be found swimming and diving in the flow and playing in the bubbles of the airstone and enjoying themselves emmensely. Bettas do not dislike flow they just are not capable of handling it as they have not been in moving water until they are placed in it and allowed to wean themselves into it. Then they build up some muscles and love it. You will find that they swim directly into the current rather than avoiding it once they become stronger. It is good exercise for them. It also makes stronger fish out of them.

Here is the baffle I made for my Eclipse 12 tanks: This has since been removed in all my tanks as none of my bettas need it any longer. This one was made of craft plastic canvas but I believe the soda bottle plastic would work much better as it would not be so stiff. It should stand out away from the filter outflow a bit to let the flow out of the filter but not so far as to let it just pour out into the tank ...about 1/2 inch. Also it should slightly hang into the water to just cut the flow a bit more.

Rose

COBettaCouple
The only thing we'd buy at Petco is the 6.6g bookshelf tank that we love for our bettas.

≈ D ≈
I'm doing just what Rose said above - using a baffle. ;D I use the soda bottle method as it's easy to come by and easy to make. You can use a 20oz bottle or if you feel it needs to be bigger a 2 litre bottle.

Just cut the bottle ends off so you are left with the area that the label is on. Then tear off the label (as much of it as possible) and cut it lengthways so you have two halfmoon shape sides. Attach with paperclips or tape to your filter and you then have your baffle.

I'll post a picture or two over the weekend so you can see how I did it; it'll also probably make it easier to understand what I'm going on about - sorry it's after 5:15am here and I haven't slept yet.

Also, you can save a little bit of money by making your own 'airstone/curtain' - I can explain that too if people want me to

chickadee
Yes please, do explain the airstone curtain for us. Just in case some of us might need it. Thank you for any information you can give us.

Rose

Blub
Hi!

The 6.6gal bookshelf tanks are great Betta tanks. MalachaI used to be in an AquaStart 320 - which has undergone an overhaul and MalachaI is settling in to his new digs in a Clear-seal 13 litre nicely. The AquaStart's UGF isn't my choice of filtration - I'd go for something like a Fluval.

COBettaCouple
I'd like to hear about that too.
Yes please, do explain the airstone curtain for us. Just in case some of us might need it. Thank you for any information you can give us.

Rose

ara
Thanks again for your help. I got an Eclipse system 3 gallon tank today (Petco had them on sale for $29.99 ). It seems like a good one: quiet, perfect size for me and much bigger than the bowl my fish had before. I hope my fish likes it as well.

COBettaCouple
He'll enjoy the upgrade for sure! ;D Enjoy watching him explore his new world and you will see even more personality come out.

≈ D ≈
Ok pictures of the baffles that I promised are below as well as one of the DIY airstone.

To make the airstone/curtain, block the end of the airtube with something - such as a piece of gravel or a plastic bead. Then use a needle to make holes about 2mm apart. If you want an air-curtain you'll have to make more holes obviously. Just be careful with the needle.

Hope this helps.

chickadee
That is a really good idea and much cheaper than going out and buying the ready made ones that clog up and have to be discarded or disintegrate.

Rose

King_Snuggles
I had thought of the airstone idea after I already had a pre made one. glad to see someone has the forsight.

≈ D ≈
I just got fed up with having to keep replacing them so I thought there must be a better way, tried out the idea first and saw that it worked. So I'll be doing it to all my tanks from now on.

Blub
Hi!

I saw that idea on another site before that. Yeah - before I do that I have to save enough money to buy a thing for the end of the tube that pumps out the air...

COBettaCouple
Love that idea.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sprogladite
Replies
Views
Arades
Replies
Views
Amazoniantanklvr