Aquarium Wiki 10 gallon suggestion

1. S

Shayna New Member Member

For a 10 gallon tank, the Aquarium Wiki suggests that you can have:

Could I hypothetically replace the Venezuelan pygmy corys with tail spots? I hear they're more mid-level fish; does it matter? Could I keep any kind of small cory?

Am I likely to end up with sparkling gouramis young? I would like to avoid breeding, I don't have the resources, but I'd also like to avoid fighting. Would three females fight?

And does this sound like a lot of fish to anyone? It certainly exceeds the 1 inch - per - gallon rule, which I know isn't hard and fast.

I kept corys (my favorites; very silly active fish, at least the ones I had, though I hear they aren't supposed to be like that?) last summer with the guidance of a more experienced person; did all right for the summer but not as well as I wanted. This would be my first really solidly kept tank. I can't afford a bigger one but I'm home a lot and can keep a very close eye on it. Haven't chosen filters or plants yet, it's going to be dependent on the build needs.

Thoughts? Thank you!

2. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    the sparkling gourami might breed, but if you decide to go with all females or all males, since this breed of gourami are peaceful aggression shouldn't be a problem with them. Note: sparkling gourami need a fully cycled mature tank as they are somewhat fragile. the endlers would look very nice as well...but unfortunately the cories won't work, they need 20g min and should be kept in groups of atleast 6+.

Advertisement

3. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

As a warning...It's nearly impossible to sex sparkling gouramis. Two girls shouldn't fight but unfortunately the best way to tell if you have two males is if they fight.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    S

Shayna New Member Member

Yikes. Noted.

Any suggestions for replacements of corys? I'm looking at that long list and googling, but there's kind of... a lot.

5. s

As replacement you mean some sort of bottom swimmer or feeder? I recommend a mystery snail or a few nerite snails personally, not sure about any small fish. As long as you have a few hiding places to choose from I'd still get the gouramis. Loved mine. Super cute. If they happen to be boys they can each claim a cave to be theirs.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Shayna New Member Member

I'm pretty set on the gouramis. Multiple caves, noted. Basically, my goal was bright and/or active fish that would get along.

So, 3 gouramis, 4 endlers, and a snail (or two, depending). The gouramis might be fine on the breeding thing also because apparently it requires low water.

Kinda wondering about ghost shrimp, because sources vary between "they might get eaten" and "give them enough cover and they're big and translucent enough, they'll be fine." More research needed, but I'm erring towards the safety of the poor shrimp. But if Java Moss and plenty of cover is already there, I don't know... now I'm just rambling. Anyways.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

7. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

8. Five 97

The current fish in your stock won't eat ghost shrimp it's the larger more aggressive ones that do so. how about asian stone catfish for different bottom dwellers?

9. s

I think those are cool water. Gouramis and endlers are mid to high seventies at least but there may be sone overlap

10. Five 97

Yep, I got a little ahead of myself there, your right....

11. s

Banjo catfish might work. Just one but it looks like they are only 3 inch bottom dwellers ok to 82 degrees if possible you want to keep your fish in the middle of their range they are more active and fun to watch. If it's too hot or too cold they slow down and start to show signs of stress

12. Five 97

Banjo catfish won't work in a 10g Imo....

13. s

Snails and shrimp seem like the only bottom dwellers at that temp then

14. Five 97

Wait a minute, Anders247....?

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Don't listen to the Aquarium Wiki. I've attempted to edit that particular post numerous times but they always change it back. It's horrendously inaccurate.

Pygmy cories are not suitable for a 10g, and they also need groups of 6+.
    Banjo catfish are not suitable for a 10.

Asian stone catfish would work in a 10g.

Also, don't use the inch per gallon rule.

16. scottishduck

scottishduck Valued Member Member

From personal experience I agree. I've had a group of C. habrosus for about 3-4 months now. From the wiki: "... never growing larger than 1" in length." This is patently false. I have at least 3, maybe 4, that are about 1.5" in length. I'm guessing the females get much larger than the males as they all started the same size and now about half are 1.5" long and the others are about 0.75"-1" long.

17. OP
    OP
    S

Shayna New Member Member

Thank you!

That's really annoying, about the Aquarium Wiki. I don't want any of my fish to die because of poor internet information. >.< I'm getting that everyone has their own opinions, but I feel like some of the things some of these places say aren't best practices (what you can do, versus what you should, not the same thing). Many, many places say you can keep corys in 10gallons and say nothing about 6+, but I'd imagine they'd be much happier that way.

Does the AqAdvisor fish stocking calculator have similar issues?

Good to know re: shrimp and asian stone catfish. It's gonna be budget and confidence dependent (this is being built up over time).

18. Five 97

Yep, it's annoying...aqadvisor is not much better Imo, but still inaccurate in quite a few of it's suggestions. glad you decided..., so just shrimp and asian stone catfish?

19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, aqadvisor has similar issues. I wouldn't use either.
    No cory is suitable for a 10g unfortunately due to how active they are.

20. OP
    OP
    S

Shayna New Member Member

Whoops forgot to come back to this-- ran into a new job head first, had to put the project on hold. But now I can definitely afford the 10gal!

So yeah, think I'll start with shrimp for my bottom feeders, see how that goes. Plus the gouramis/endlers and snail. One snail. Because I had a snail breeding problem the last time and it was horrific (came in on the plants).

Thanks everyone! Now I get to go read all the threads about tanks and filters ^_^

Advertisement