Aquarium weight stand support

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhMyGoshman

Reaction score
I've been planning on upgrading my 10gallon tank. I have been planning on doing something around 17-20g, but after looking on craigslist and seeing alot of really good deals on 50-55gallons I started getting curious. I have the footprint to place that size aquarium, but I am unsure if the surface would be strong enough to support the weight.

My 10 gallon is currently on this Ikea shelving unit, laid horizontally, I know particle board isn't ideal, but I keep on top of making sure there is no water sitting on the surface after maintenance, etc and if I was to get a bigger tank the weight would be spread out over a pretty large distance:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116276

With these legs:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00054564

Here is a diagram of how the legs are setup on the stand, there are a total of 8 legs.

547.jpg

What do you think? Should I just stick with the smaller tank?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, I would be looking at stands specifically made for supporting aquariums.

That said, it all depends what it is made of, if it is hardwood, then it should be fine.

Remembering that 1 US gallon weighs approx 8.5lbs (1 litre = 1kg), so that's ~470lbs or just over 200kg of water alone, let alone rocks/gravel/decor/lights, the aquarium itself. You're probably looking at a total of about 660lbs (300kg).

Other than that, you'd need to put some foam under the tank to ensure it is level.

But looks like a nice cabinet!!!!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've used all sorts of stuff for stands for small tanks, but those bigger ones ought to be on something you KNOW is going to support the weight. That's not something you want to be wrong about....

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't be trusting that without some serious reinforcement. I'd be pulling the whole thing apart & then reassembling it with Liquid Nails along every join. I would add extra vertical supports made from 2"x2" pine that would be bolted & liquid nailed into position. The legs would be removed/not used so that the unit sits flat on the floor. The removal of the legs will help spread the weight out more evenly across both the floor & the unit/stand itself. I think if you use the legs, the whole lot will collapse. The whole thing would get 3-5 coats of polyurethane varnish to seal it.

Unless you know what your doing with joins & support structures I would just go & buy a purpose built stand.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe. The timber for the supports would cost maybe $15, liquid nails $5, varnish $15, timber bolts $5. Depending on where the supplies are bought.

I'd just do the extra work myself but that's because I've got all that stuff I mentioned already so wouldn't have to spend anything to do it & I enjoy doing that sort of thing.

It would be much easier for most people to just buy a proper stand though. Might even get a stand cheaper if a good deal can be found on Craigslist or something like that.

Either way though, I wouldn't trust that unit as is.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I was looking for a stand for a 46 gallon bowfront, one of the clerks at Petco brought me into a storage room, out of sight of the public eye, and let me look at ones they had on markdown. They didn't have room for them out on the floor.

So, don't be shy about asking. And don't be shy about making an offer on a stand that's in storage anyway. They'll probably grab your money and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom