Help Aquarium Water Turning Cloudy Again And Again

AniketRane

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 10 gallons sparsely planted aquarium which is about 2½ months old housing a betta and 2 otocinclus. I have planted it with cryptocoryne wendtii and some monte carlo as used ADA Amazonia as the substrate. Lightning period was 8 hours earlier but I have reduced it right now due to algae growth to around 6 hours daily. I have no CO2 injection nor used any fertilizers as I have aimed for a low tech tank.

Recently there has been cloudy water issue and I am unable to get it clear even after doing some major water changes for 2-3 times. I give blanched cucumbers to my otos and I change the cucumbers after 12-24 hours. I suspect the cucumbers as the root cause of the issue. But I am not quite sure.

My filter is a small hang on the back filter. Though it's power is good for my tank size i.e. 600L/H I think there isn't enough space for the bacterias to house in the filter. I have ceramic ring medias in my filter. Can it be an issue with the filter or are the cucumbers to be blamed? And if cucumbers are the culprits here than can using zucchini/courgette solve my problem?

I am attaching images of my filter for reference.

IMG_20191001_205358.jpg IMG_20191001_205353.jpg IMG_20191001_205347.jpg

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would plant densely and let the otos feed on algae. I think cucumbers are the problem.

Bacterias will grow almost anywhere, they don’t need « space », as long as there is material they can adhere to.

AniketRane

Reaction score
Bacterias will grow almost anywhere, they don’t need « space », as long as there is material they can adhere to.
Do you think my filter size is okay compared to the tank size? I know that the power is important but my noob brain thinks more space = more bacterias. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to spend on another filter if this one is sufficient.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you think my filter size is okay compared to the tank size? I know that the power is important but my noob brain thinks more space = more bacterias. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't want to spend on another filter if this one is sufficient.
If your filter turns 600L/h (let’s pretend it’s exaggerated and « only » 300L/h) it’s still more than enough for your 10 gallons. Unless for some reason you are having problems with it, I wouldn’t change it.

If you’re worried about your otos not having enough food from the algae, then give them littles pieces of spirulina tablets.

Look here for other ideas : https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/do-oto-cats-eat-spirulina.216072/

Rcslade124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goto walmart and buy a bag of polyfill. Put some in filter. It helped my 5.5 in a day

AniketRane

Reaction score
If you’re worried about your otos not having enough food from the algae, then give them littles pieces of spirulina tablets.

Look here for other ideas : Do oto cats eat spirulina?
I have tried with Hikari algae wafers but they barely even roam around them. And moreover I cannot keep the wafers for long in the tank. They mess up the water. Now the whole packet is a waste and is lying in my drawer.
Any spirulina tablets will do? or should I try only the aquarium grade spirulina tablets? And do they mess up the water if kept for a while?

Goto walmart and buy a bag of polyfill. Put some in filter. It helped my 5.5 in a day
I will try.

Dechi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any spirulina tablets will do? or should I try only the aquarium grade spirulina tablets? And do they mess up the water if kept for a while?
Buy the ones specifically for fish. I feed at night, around 9pm when my lights go off, and I remove whatever is left in the morning when the lights go on. This way, no mess !

Mine are for corys, CAE and 1 oto. I cut them in 4 pieces and give 2-4 pieces, as needed. I’ve never seen anything left in the morning.

Truckjohn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Have you rinsed out your filter cartridge well in used water-change water? I would swish it out real good. It probably has silt and muck in it from the tank start. Don't worry about it being discolored - that's fine.

Then - how about giving your octos a cuke snack for 1 hour then pull them out. Cukes can leach out sticky stuff which could cloud the water.

Then...

2nd... Is the tank still cycled? Check ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

3rd question - do you have any driftwood or dead leaves?

4th question - do you have fish rooting around through the gravel cap into the soil substrate?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom