Aquarium Water Testing

Anushanthh
does anyone know about a diy method to do create a water testing kit ?

AustinS
I've never heard of anyone making their own tests, to get accurate readings it would probably be best to go buy one. The test kits with the droppers are a lot more accurate than the test strips and they're a better deal because they last so long. I'd recommend the API master test kit.

Anushanthh
thank you Austin for your suggestion. I couldn't find any testing kits in the local market here in srilanka. and getting one from eBay takes weeks to delivered, some times never delivered. (liquid things blocked by customs for safety reasons.)

AustinS
thank you Austin for your suggestion. I couldn't find any testing kits in the local market here in srilanka. and getting one from eBay takes weeks to delivered, some times never delivered. (liquid things blocked by customs for safety reasons.)

That's quite unfortunate. The bottles are pretty small if that makes any difference, I know here in United States airports for example, you are allowed to take liquids under a certain amount onto the planes, but it's probably much different with srilanka international security.

Take this next paragraph with a grain of salt, because I haven't been fishkeeping for very long and this is just what I've heard.

If you aren't able to get your hands on a kit, and you decide to start cycling your aquarium anyways, I'd be very careful. If you do this it would probably be better to go with very hardy fish, at least at first. Zebra Danios make a great fish for this, and because they are so active, there is a noticeable behavior difference when the water qualities are suboptimal (such as being skittish, decrease in appitite). If you see this you'll know to do a water change.

Hope this helps!

HeathC
Will the test strips get past customs in sirlanka?

AustinS
Will the test strips get past customs in sirlanka?

I second this, I don't know why I didn't consider this. Test strips are wayyy better than nothing, lol

HeathC
Yeah!

Anushanthh
That's quite unfortunate. The bottles are pretty small if that makes any difference, I know here in United States airports for example, you are allowed to take liquids under a certain amount onto the planes, but it's probably much different with srilanka international security.

Take this next paragraph with a grain of salt, because I haven't been fishkeeping for very long and this is just what I've heard.

If you aren't able to get your hands on a kit, and you decide to start cycling your aquarium anyways, I'd be very careful. If you do this it would probably be better to go with very hardy fish, at least at first. Zebra Danios make a great fish for this, and because they are so active, there is a noticeable behavior difference when the water qualities are suboptimal (such as being skittish, decrease in appitite). If you see this you'll know to do a water change.

Hope this helps!

thanks again. and I don't have problem starting a new tank as I always keeps an extra sponch filter in my tank so I always prepared for any emergencies.

and I never had a single problem in my tank for last two years, except recently my goldfishes got sleeping disease and perfectly cured now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishGirl115
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wrench
Replies
Views
toosie
  • Question