Aquarium Vs Terrarium

Angestat

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
HI everyone!
I'm wondering of how a terrarium can affect an aquarium in the same room, and not to my surprise there isn't anything online on the topic. Any input will be much appreciated!

In my office room at home is where I spend most of my time. Next to the desk I have had a 120 gallon aquarium with 8 fancy goldfish, a sailfin pleco and snails for about a year. Behind the desk I set up a terrarium a month ago, similar size with the aquarium. It's a home for 2 fancy mice brothers.

No matter how much I clean the terrarium, there's always that ammonia smell in the air. I've read how it's advisable to avoid scented candles, perfumes, etc around aquariums, so the air pumps won't suck that in. But how about the ammonia in the air? Can't that hurt the fish too? I have 4 outlets in my air pump on the highest setting.

All of these fish were healthy and happy but the past little while they've been looking lethargic, hanging all together in one spot in the middle of the tank, few of them even bottom sit for a bit and then swim again and occasionally gasping at the surface. I was thinking perhaps costipation and fasted 1-2 days then fed peas 3 days. I continued feeding less, I doubled my water changes and I think both helped a bit, but didn't change much. I then noticed some flashing and a single white spot on one fish and treated them all with Metroplex&Kanaplex&focus in their food for 2 weeks although the very next day they were back to their previous lethargic state. I'm not sure what's wrong. I had no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates spikes. Any guesses?

Thanks for reading!

Gadfly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don’t know but interested in what comes out of this thread.

From my experience, I would never keep rodents in a room I like to be in. No matter how much cleaning that smell is always there. That’s enough for me.

Both of you’re setups look amazing!

ralph113

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have seen 50 / 50 aquarium n terrarium same tank

OP
Angestat

Angestat

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you Gadfly! Ralph113 I've seen terrarium aquarium 50 50 but for amphibians not rodents or reptiles. Is that what you meant?

New Threads