Aquarium Urns Acid Within Hours?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ViolentRainbow, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ViolentRainbow

ViolentRainbowNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have two newish aquariums, one is a 95L that's been going for about 2 months with goldfish and the other is a 50L betta tank on my desk. In both tanks there is no driftwood, only java ferns and river gravel but both tanks somehow turn to bright yellow pH within hours even after a 100% water change, I transferred by betta to another tank because of it and changed 100% of water even using my tap water which is a solid 8 pH it's acid within hours. I can't figure out what's causing this, it's been going on for months with no change, I figure it must have something to do with filtration because there's no other explanation. I have tried using live bacteria and adding water from other tanks but it makes no change. One tank has a smallish hang on filter the other tank has a built in filter. Both have sponges that have been used in cycling for months. Any advice would help I'm starting to go insane.

Also I know for a fact it's nothing to do with the gravel either, it's just regular river gravel and I have removed it form the tanks a few times to check anyway and it has no effect on the pH it's still acid.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2018
  2. nyless

nylessValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +42
    Experience:
    3 years
    Some water municipals put gases into the water to harden it or soften it to their targeted parameters as I understand it.

Sounds like after 24 hours it's off gassed and then your ph is dropping.

My suggestion would be to take a bucket of water and aerate it for 24 hours and then test the water in that bucket.

If it was me I would set up two buckets get a reading on both and then aerate 1 bucket for 24 hours but not the other and then test both buckets again afterwards.

3. Carbeo

CarbeoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +301
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Agree with above, prep water way ahead of time so its stable for water change. The fish can adjust to the taps end result as long as its stable and within reason. Also, does your house use a water softener system? Can you bypass it? Same issue, just on the scale of one house instead of municipal.