Aquarium Temp

1. jfs4

jfs4 Valued Member Member

I am looking to keep my tank's temp down as summer is upon us. We will be taking various trips and I am curious how to keep the temp down while away. Any thoughts?

2. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Keep you air conditioner set at 80.

3. Hego_Damask

Hego_Damask Valued Member Member

Do you have a heater where you can adjust the temperature?

4. OP
    OP
    jfs4

Yes, it's a top fin heater that came in the start up kit.

5. Hunter1

I have a work rental with 6 tanks in it. I regularly am away for the weekend, sometimes up to 9 days during the summer. All of my tanks are set between 75-78, depending on species.

I set the air on 80 an d realize it’s costing me money but is the cost of keeping tanks.

6. OP
    OP
    jfs4

I can see why you would want to keep the AC up with that many tanks. I guess for me, it is going to be a bit of a strain on the wallet. There must be some other way to keep the temperature down for a ten gallon.

7. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Valued Member Member

You guys use the AC @ 80? My god.. here in AZ 68-72 is normal for 6-7 months

8. Hunter1

If i’m not home, 80 saves me $$$ but only allows the tanks to only go up a couple of degrees each day, normal in nature although fish go to deeper water if it’s too warm.

9. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

If you have fish tanks you either have to have blackout curtains and/or AC. No other way around it.

You can do water changes with cooler water to lower the temp, float ice packs, etc., but its a huge pain in the butt. I keep mostly open top tanks so I lose a ton of water in the summer to evaporation so I just add cooler water.

If you cant regulate the room temp with an AC youre going to have to be creative.

10. Hunter1

And difficult to do if you’re not there.