Aquarium Sump/overflow Issues Help

Discussion in 'Sump' started by Chris Griffin, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Chris GriffinNew MemberMember

Hello all,
    Recently i acquired a 92 gallon reef ready tank that i will be using for freshwater, i bought an aqueon pro flex 3 sump for it and i got it up and running. However i have issues. The water level sits at the very top of the slits to fall into the overflow. This has me concerned because if the siphon stops working in the overflow water would stay in the overflow and the water from the sump would still get pumped up into the display tank causing the whole thing to overflow i would assume. I am new to this whole concept so any peice of mind or solutions would help alot. Thankyou!

2. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Hi there Chris. :) Welcome to Fishlore! :D I've moved this thread to the Saltwater section, (in the Sumps sub-forum) because you are dealing with salty equipment here and I think you'll get your best answers from salty members that have used this type of equipment before. I'm a salty aquarist of the nano variety, so I can't answer your question because I have no experience with sumps, overflows, and the plumbing and gear that goes with them. I can call on a few folks that do for you though.;) @ryanr @Culprit @Jesterrace Hope this helps! :)

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

My tanks drilled so its got an internal overflow but i believe thats normal.

4. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore
    Can you post a photo of the setup? It'll help visualise your setup.

That said, generally the drain into the sump (overflow) is free flowing, not a siphon, and is thus governed by the speed of the return pump.

What can happen though, is that if the return pump fails/switches off, then you'll get a siphon back down the return tubing, this can be overcome by putting siphon break holes in the return pipe.

Check out the following thread, it has some good info on sump setup: 20 Gallon Sump

5. coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

I have mega overflows .The slots can clog and raise the level in tank but that is not how I have ever flooded any of my tanks !
    Can you lower the durso in the box? They may allow for faster flow?
    In my marine tank with megas the coraline [calcium based algae] grew so strong on the overflow[a lovely red] that I had to use a file, razor and screw driver to clean the slots out more then once ..
    You could file a few of them wider if you are really worried but I have not on any of my freshwater .If your pump is adjustable slow it down and see if that changes the level on slots.
    It could just be you have too much flow [aprox750gph per overflow] or that is just how the box flows ?