Aquarium Stand Wood, 29 Gallon, Super Glue

NeonTetra11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Anyone know how I am supposed to tread wood I am using for a stand? (to make it look nice, it's on the outside) What's the process, when do I stain, when do I put the water seal, etc. Another question is has anyone tried removing the black strips from a 29 gallon tank? It's made seapora so I'm pretty sure the material is fine but will it last? Also, regular dollar store super glue can be used to secure moss and such right? Thanks in advance!

r15u5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi NeonTetra11 .. sounds like a fun project!

NeonTetra11 said:
What's the process, when do I stain, when do I put the water seal, etc.
For my stand after a good finishing sand and wipe, I used stain + poly let it dry, light finishing sand and wipe and it looks great and repels water very well. I've read some folks using marine sealant and multi coats and honestly unless you are going for a certain look I think it is overkill. Nothing is being submerged (AFAIK) here.

NeonTetra11 said:
Also, regular dollar store super glue can be used to secure moss and such right?
Yes, although I double down on dry time and give another rinse and dry as well. If I can tie down or use silicone sealant I generally do that.

Not sure about the black strips. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Susiefoo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, any super glue that lists the only ingredient as cyanoacrylate is fine. You don't need to let it dry either, it can even be used underwater in a tank (though I'm not suggesting you do this!) Just dry the wood a bit with a cloth, dot on some blobs of glue, press down the moss, wait a few minutes and replace in the tank.

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would be very cautious about using super glue, make SURE that it is dry. If you plan to submerge it as I inferred, be cautious again. In one of my 5.5 gallon betta tanks, I used super glue to fix a decoration and put it back in after I thought it had dried... My betta almost acted brain dead the next morning and died later that night. As for my 55 gallon, I had to fix a few decorations as well but was very cautious. I use a decent amount of super glue and used a heat gun very lighting to make sure it dried within the decoration. They I let it cure for a couple of days before putting it back in, and everything was fine!

NeonTetra11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
r15u5 said:
Hi NeonTetra11 .. sounds like a fun project!

For my stand after a good finishing sand and wipe, I used stain + poly let it dry, light finishing sand and wipe and it looks great and repels water very well. I've read some folks using marine sealant and multi coats and honestly unless you are going for a certain look I think it is overkill. Nothing is being submerged (AFAIK) here.

Yes, although I double down on dry time and give another rinse and dry as well. If I can tie down or use silicone sealant I generally do that.

Not sure about the black strips. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
For the wood staining, I sand, apply the stain and then poly which is a water repellent?

r15u5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yep Polyurethane seals the stain and repels water. You can apply separately, but I've had good results using the combination. Look up "Polyshades"

in that case you apply the stain which already has the poly in it and it and you are good to go.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom