Aquarium stand Height for siphon?

TheCapn

HI All,

I'm new to Fish lore on October 16th I finally added 3 male fancy guppies to a fresh 29 Gallon tank, I started to clean the gravel but unlike some of the videos I have seen while using a basic gravel vac and bucket I noticed my gravel doesn't suck up debris/substrate into the gravel vac like the majority of people on you tube. My aquarium is currently only 18 inches off the ground.

What height should the base of an aquarium be off the ground? I didn't think it would be a problem since I've seen many fish keepers have their tanks even lower to the ground. I ordered a python complete kit is should be here tomorrow. do you think the python will remedy the suction power issue?

I'm currently debating in my mind if I should just buy a prebuilt stand for it or wait till I can build the multI tank stand similar to some of the cinder block/wood stands that i've seen on youtube. (this would be a few months from now before being able to afford materials to build this.)

Thank you for your time and advice.

nikm128

The height probably doesn't have much impact on how well it pulls gunk out of the gravel, but really the tank just needs to be above whatever you're draining water into.
You could just have really clean gravel too

flyin-lowe

I don't think height matters much, reason I say that is I have a s125 in my garage. I have a utility sink next to the tank and the bottom of the sink is not much lower than the tank. I'm guessing with only three guppies in a 29 gallon, especially new, there won't be much gunk unless you are really over feeding. What kind of gravel/substrate did you use. Usually if it is new and not rinsed real well you will see debris from it.

ystrout

As high as you think looks good.

Just keep it higher than what you drain the water into so you can use it with a standard manual pump.

Personally, I'll never buy an aquarium stand again. The affordable ones at Petco and Petsmart are made super cheap and are still expensive. The high end ones are super expensive and aren't any nicer than most people could make in their garage. So I'll be building my own going forward.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
toeknee
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
lockedup
Replies
Views