Aquarium Stand For 40 Gallon Aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kmsmith90, Mar 22, 2005.

1. kmsmith90New MemberMember

I just bought a 40 gal bowfront glass tank. I have a cast iron stand that is for a rectangular 40 gal, if I put a suitably sized piece of wood on top of the stand and the tank on top of the wood will that be supportive enough? Do I need a bowfront stand?

2. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

That could potentially be dangerous, depending on how far out the bow front sticks out. Filled with water, a 40 gallon would be at least 400 pounds. I would try to get a stand made exactly for that particular aquarium. Just my opinion though.

3. OP
    OP
    k

kmsmith90New MemberMember

Thanks, I was just hoping for a less expensive route. Though I think my husband needs a new woodworking project.

4. Miss MouseWell Known MemberMember

Actually I was wondering about stands - I have the 170 litre tank and dont have anything to put it on. Any ideas about how much it will weigh and what kind of stand should I put it on?

5. JasonWell Known MemberMember

It will weigh 170 kilograms thats all I know

6. Miss MouseWell Known MemberMember

Well yesterday was my day off so I trawled all the furniture shops and was looking at some very expensive tables etc but then popped into Petsmart and found a stand made to fit the tank for £75 with cabinet and all! I dont know why I didn't look there in the first place... :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice