Aquarium Stand Engineering Question

CatladyDane
Looking at the 40 gallon acrylic aquarium that I want, I have also looked at stands. The tank is 36" long X 15" wide. At the local Petsmart I have seen a stand similar to the one at this link: . They do come in sizes for 40 gallon & 50 gallon tanks. I really do like a table that is larger than the tank so that I have space to put things as I work around it (& it's a good catwalk & bumper for big dogs). If I were to get a stand like this one designed for a 50 gallon tank and put a piece of 3/4" furniture grade plywood on top, is there any reason from an engineering standpoint that it would not successfully support the smaller tank? Thank you.

sirdarksol
I think that would be okay.
How much space would be around the tank if you got the bigger stand? The further away from the edges, the more pressure there will be on the plywood.

mlinden84
Have you considered getting a stand with a solid top?

Butterfly
I have a couple of those type stands and mine aren't really stable. They were given to me and I'm grateful but I would not buy one if I had a choice.
I do love my wooden stands though.
Carol

CatladyDane
Thank you all. I shall continue looking at furniture. My two existing tanks are on heavy solid wood tables with good support (both of which were free!) The last thing I want is something that will be unstable when bumped by big dogs or clumsy people. Function won over frills for my bath & kitchen fixtures, too.

Tavel
you could always just buy any stand you like and add reinforcements to the structure.

Since you're using an aquarium stand, you know it can hold that much weight. You just need to mind where the weight falls on the structure. Specifically, add reinforcement bars that span across the tabletop where the front and back of the aquarium will sit. this will spread almost all of the weight to the sides of the table, where it's supposed to go.

Butterfly
Since you're using an aquarium stand, you know it can hold that much weight.
My stands like that hold the weight just fine but the water moves every time you walk by. They also sway just the tiniest bit if you bump them.
Carol

Tavel
My stands like that hold the weight just fine but the water moves every time you walk by. They also sway just the tiniest bit if you bump them.
Carol

that's because the floor bounces when you walk. You don't normally notice, but the water shows it really well.

CatladyDane
Perhaps I'll buy that smaller chest to replace that double dresser that takes too much space where it now is and repurpose it as my tank stand. It's real wood, with very sturdy framing; cat proof, dog proof, & people proof.

BipBop
I recently found a deal on eBay for a stand similar to that, but mine has a lower shelf. I got it for $22! I'll be putting a glass 29 gallon on it. Those who have the wrought iron stands, did you put your tank directly on it or cut a piece of plywood to fit the length? I'm worried about it being open in the center.

CatLadyDane, I've read that you have to be more careful with acrylic tanks, that it's more critical to have the weight evenly distributed and supported.

jdhef
Look at the bottom of the tank. If the bottom glass is recessed, then it will only need support on the perimeter. If the bottom is flush with the sides (i.e. the bottom would sit fully on whatever surface it was placed on) I would provide full support.

Figure a 40 gallon tank will weigh about 400 pounds when filled.

BipBop
Look at the bottom of the tank. If the bottom glass is recessed, then it will only need support on the perimeter. If the bottom is flush with the sides (i.e. the bottom would sit fully on whatever surface it was placed on) I would provide full support.

Figure a 40 gallon tank will weigh about 400 pounds when filled.
That's good to know! thanks a lot. I just checked, and the bottom glass is recessed. The tank fits perfectly on top of the stand, which is supposed to hold up to a 37 gallon tank. Looks like my 29 gallon will do okay on the wrought iron stand.

Since the ebay seller of the stand was local, I didn't have to pay shipping on top of the $22. Still, it might be cheaper than Petsmart's even with the shipping. You might do a search on ebay. The stand I got looks like this:

44.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views
EricV
Replies