Aquarium Stand Durability

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by CichlidLover5, Apr 18, 2017.

1. C

CichlidLover5 New Member Member

Hi everyone,

Could I please have your opinions on the durability of my new tank stand?

Furthermore, could someone help me fix my water level based on my stand set-up?

Here is link:
    Visio 26-gallon Tank And Stand

Please look at my most recent posts, since I no longer have the black stand...

Thanks!

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

the waterline is uneven?
    it means the whole foundation is as well
    you try to put something underneath the side with less water like cardboard layers to level it out

3. OP
    OP
    C

Should I use wooden shims on the legs of the stand?

If so, do you know which legs and how I would go about that?

You see, there are many differing opinions on how to fix water line and so I want advice from someone who fixed the issue and then had many years of success.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  4. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

yeah a shim would do good
    you'd have to move the tank and place a small bowl of water, since that waterline will also be uneven
    keep experimenting with how much shim support you need until the small bowl is also leveled
    when that is fixed, you can add your tank back
    oftentime the water line being uneven is simply just an uneven base

5. OP
    OP
    C

Should I shim the right-most two legs of stand or left-most two legs of stand?

6. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

The left. And you can use a level on your tank to get it just right, rather than just guesstimating with a bowl of water... make sure you check side-to-side, front-to-back, and angle across both sets of opposite corners.

7. OP
    OP
    C

I thought that I should shim the two left-most legs too, but my leveler suggests shimming my right-most legs?

When I have the leveler on top of my tank and see that its off level, I tilted the leveler slightly to the left the leveler was level.

Thus, I am unsure of what to shim...

8. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

When the thing level drifts to the left, that means that the left side needs to go up... try a shim under the back leg first (on the left side)...if that makes it level then you are good to go, you might have to level both legs though, your leveler will tell ya!

Empty the aquarium, the most that you can... you put the shim skinny side first directly under the leg, when it goes down far enough, to the length/width you want it, mark it with a pencil and then break it off at those parts (if you can't use a dremel or something similar to cut it).

9. OP
    OP
    C

Alright, could you tell me how to shim, like what's required in terms of tools and should I remove the whole tank, etc.?

Am I using a hammer to move the shim onto place and do I need a little bit of water in the aquarium to check for levelness?

10. APierce

Just take the tank off if you can, you want to check the level against the stand...if the stand is level, the aquarium should be as well. You won't need a hammer, just pick up that side of the stand and slip the shim under as far as you need it. Use cedar shims they start out fairly skinny and are fairly cheap at home depot.

Actually, you might not even have to pick up the stand, you might just be able to put the shim under there with out lifting the stand at all.

Edit...They are fairly easy to snap where you need them to with just your hands too, I should add (the cedar shims)

11. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks for your reply, but wouldn't the level change as you reintroduce the water into the tank?

12. APierce

with a solid wood stand like that it shouldn't...as long as the stand is level, the tank should be level...unless you've got shag carpet underneath it or something!

13. OP
    OP
    C

I do have carpet under the stand...

Will that be an issue?

The pressure of the tank on the stand made the carpet snag a bit under the legs.

Any advice in shimming?

Move the stand to new location or leave it where it is?

14. APierce

The only way I see carpet being an issue is if 1. the carpet is overly thick 2. the shims aren't really smooth (and even then it does have the potential to snag the carpet, I won't say otherwise) 3. The carpet padding underneath the carpet is overly thick....If the carpet is super thick or the padding is super thick it might throw off your level once you add water.

If you would like to, you could keep the water in the tank and shim from the sides, so long as you use shims that are fairly skinny on one end. It might be a bit harder to remove them to break/cut them if you do it this way though...but it can still be done.

Really, all you have to do is just use your level to see that everything is level after you add the shims, if you notice that it is too high on that side now, just slip it out some more, if you notice it is still to low, just push it in a bit further, once you are done getting it where you need it, mark it with a pencil and cut/break it at the pencil mark and then slide it back under where you had it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice