Aquarium stand - bowing in the centre

DaisyP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, hope you’re having a good day!
My aquarium stand is starting to bow in the middle after less than a year of use. Though it wasn’t that expensive so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised...
It’s making kind of a “U” shape and I only noticed it the other day. It’s a plastic trim tank (and plastic bottom tank, I think) and the four corners of the tank are still flush against the stand. But there’s about a 2-3 mm gap around the middle.
I was never great at science at school but surely that has to be putting stress on the glass panels so now I’m too scared to sleep or leave the house for fear of it all going! Time for a new stand, or will the four corners touching be enough to spread the weight out?
I attached a pic, not sure if it’s very clear though.

Attachments

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is the stand made for the tank?

In rimmed tanks all weight goes to the 4 corners so if those are supported, I wouldn't worry too much. IMO only reason you should worry is if someone with OCD sees it.

Nobote

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I must have OCD now.....

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could put a center vertical brace on the center of the tank stand.

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree adding a center brace would be a good idea. If you are concerned about it not being supported you could pack some thin slivers of wood in the gaps between the tank and stand.
When I build stands and tanks I put a layer of polystyrene ceiling tiles between the two to take up any imperfections or minor warping.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a cheap, thin, 6' x 8' rug at the home store. I cut it to size then put it under the tank to spread out the pressure.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Heron said:
I agree adding a center brace would be a good idea. If you are concerned about it not being supported you could pack some thin slivers of wood in the gaps between the tank and stand.
When I build stands and tanks I put a layer of polystyrene ceiling tiles between the two to take up any imperfections or minor warping.
All you’ll do with this is add more pressure to the center causing it to bow further if the support didn’t go TK something solid. That will cause the stand to further decline.
what you need to figure out is if the side of the stand are still square/level up and down. If not the stand is failing. Even if not the stand is likely failing. I’m assuming this is a particle board stand and it’s been wet and that’s likely the cause of the bowing. Is this actually made for a fish tank?

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DaisyP
I see you have already tried to brace it with books.
Could try and add proper supports in the center temporarily.
Agree get another stand for "Peace of Mind".
Good Luck!

DaisyP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! Yep, I wedged them in there to give it a little extra support until I can get something stronger. :)
I’ll invest in something more sturdy this time.

T
Heron said:
Thank you! I have some polystyrene boards tucked away somewhere actually. Will try to slide some of those under when next I do a water change.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Polystyrene won’t add any structure though. So don’t think it will make your stand stronger. Take a shot of the entire stand and post it here for us. Is it made for an aquarium. That’s been asked twice and hasn’t been answered??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom