Aquarium Stack (stand + Rack

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by FishRFriendz, Jul 16, 2019.

1. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendzWell Known MemberMember

Combining a Stand with a Rack, half the tanks are oriented for viewing, half of the tanks are oriented for density. Fits 5 Aqueon standard 10 gallon, and either Aqueon 20 long or 29 gallon on the bottom. 2 of the 3 rack oriented tanks still have full display if viewed from the side of the Stack. I breed shrimp so all tanks have an area of clear overhead access to make catching shrimp easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun with LEDs and glass shelves
    https://i.imgur.com/sE6QgFs.mp4

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Nick86

Nick86New MemberMember

I like that

3. OP
    OP
    FishRFriendz

5 tanks cycled and done. 2 more to go now. Always end up with less real estate for plants than I would have liked. Most of the plants so far came from breaking down a single 10g.

IMG_5350.jpg

Split a 20g long

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. Asomeone

AsomeoneValued MemberMember

Oh my I just found my next project. Good I can blame you when the girlfriend hits me with a stick. Simply awesome job. Question, are you at all concerned with the way the top tier is supported? Not from the Sides and in the middle? Since I will be stealing your idea Im just curious :D

5. OP
    OP
    FishRFriendz

The top shelf has 4 2x4s to ensure there is no deflection in the cantilevered beams for the weight that it has to bear. Each 10g tank when filled will be at best 100 pounds. I sat on the edge of one of the cantilevers just for fun with the glass shelf, and had no fear of it breaking. I risked more trying to get down off that than sitting there. The vertical support for the top is 8 2x4s which is more than I've put into various stands I've built based on simpler designs to hold up 20 gallon tanks.

It's not a build I would recommend for a first-time DIY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019