X
Cookie Policy

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website! Learn More

Reject (Leave Website)

Aquarium Smells Bad Help

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

My aquarium has been set up for about a year now, the last addition of fish was about 4-5 months ago. These couple of weeks I've started to notice a fishy smell, it gets less smelly after a water change but then becomes stronger as the week goes by...

What should I do and what is causing it?

2. 75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

It's ammonia.

You need to do daily 50% WCs for a week or more until that can be controlled.

3. APierce Well Known Member Member

Start checking the ammonia and nitrate levels in the middle of the week, you might have to do more frequent water changes. You might want to add a bit of activated carbon to the filter too while you are getting it under control.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

5. Z

I don't think it's ammonia, the aquarium is cycled and I have a Bolivian ram and neon tetras in there which I heard are pretty sensitive to ammonia.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you list specific parameters?

7. 75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Can you send the parameters?

8. Z

My temp is 72-74F
    pH: 7.6
    Ammonia: 0-.25
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrate: 5-20
    The tank is 29 gallon and I change about 7.5 gallons every week

9. Z

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

11. Z

So like 10 gallons? I also have some activated carbon, should I add that as well?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

10-15 gallons would be fine. And activated carbon might help with the smell. Make sure you're gravel vac'ing, cleaning the rim and the lid, and cleaning the filter. The smell could come from any of these.

View On FishLore