Aquarium Smells Bad

Z123Killer

My aquarium has been set up for about a year now, the last addition of fish was about 4-5 months ago. These couple of weeks I've started to notice a fishy smell, it gets less smelly after a water change but then becomes stronger as the week goes by...

What should I do and what is causing it?

75g Discus Tank

It's ammonia.

You need to do daily 50% WCs for a week or more until that can be controlled.

AWheeler

Start checking the ammonia and nitrate levels in the middle of the week, you might have to do more frequent water changes. You might want to add a bit of activated carbon to the filter too while you are getting it under control.

Z123Killer

75g Discus Tank said:
It's ammonia.

You need to do daily 50% WCs for a week or more until that can be controlled.
I don't think it's ammonia, the aquarium is cycled and I have a Bolivian ram and neon tetras in there which I heard are pretty sensitive to ammonia.

TexasDomer

Can you list specific parameters?

75g Discus Tank

Z123Killer said:
I don't think it's ammonia, the aquarium is cycled and I have a Bolivian ram and neon tetras in there which I heard are pretty sensitive to ammonia.
Can you send the parameters?

Z123Killer

TexasDomer

I would look into doing larger water changes - that'll help lower ammonia and clean the tank.

Z123Killer

TexasDomer said:
I would look into doing larger water changes - that'll help lower ammonia and clean the tank.
So like 10 gallons? I also have some activated carbon, should I add that as well?

TexasDomer

10-15 gallons would be fine. And activated carbon might help with the smell. Make sure you're gravel vac'ing, cleaning the rI'm and the lid, and cleaning the filter. The smell could come from any of these.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom