Aquarium Smelling

Rhobbs521

Reaction score
So I have a problem with one of my aquariums smelling. My other three don’t. I’ve notice two fish are missing and I think this is the cause. Anyone have tips on finding a dead fish I’ve looked everywhere it’s been like this for a couple weeks. I gravel vacuum every week with a 50% wc. I’ve been using carbon to keep the wife happy but I need to fix the problem. Has anyone had a fish die inside of a decoration or somehow get under the rocks? It was a baby molly and a hatchetfish missing

ForceTen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I could not find a tiger barb and my wife could not either. Checked the floor first.
Turns out the fake rock I used is hollow, so there is an opening in the bottom. I was using it sideways with the opening facing the back of the tank.
The dead barb was inside the fake rock.

OP
R

Rhobbs521

Reaction score
ForceTen said:
I could not find a tiger barb and my wife could not either. Checked the floor first.
Turns out the fake rock I used is hollow, so there is an opening in the bottom. I was using it sideways with the opening facing the back of the tank.
The dead barb was inside the fake rock.
I have a 2.5 foot long hallow decoration in my tank this is going to be fun searching. Makes me wonder if it is in there if they got stuck

I’ve looked under but not inside

Attachments

FrostedFlakes

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bad smelling tanks can be from decaying material or hydrogen sulfide from anaerobes. Does it smell a lot like sulfur? Do you have sand? Not sure if two dead fish would cause the entire tank to smell too bad. Do you know if your ammonia spiked? If your fish are dying and it's smelling bad, hydrogen sulfide could be present.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How many fish in the tank? Missing a few weeks they should have been eaten. If not you would have some type of ammonia reading. Carbon is the best thing for removing smells. Is it a sulfur smell or an algae smell.

OP
R

Rhobbs521

Reaction score
It doesn’t smell like sulphuric more of like stagnant pond almost sour smelling could that be algae? I don’t have an algae problem inside the tank but to be honest I don’t know if I’ve ever cleaned under the lid.

Also there is over 30 various fish including bristlenose, mollies, gourami, hatchets, and various tetras.

Water quality is great it is 0/0/0 right now every once in a while I’ll have 5 nitrates. The aponogeton keeps the nitrates down it grows like a weed some leaves grow 3-5 inches in a day.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes algae lives under the hood!! Take it off and wipe it down with a pot scurbby.

ForceTen

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rhobbs521 said:
I have a 2.5 foot long hallow decoration in my tank this is going to be fun searching. Makes me wonder if it is in there if they got stuck

I’ve looked under but not inside
My suspicions tell me that is exactly where the poor fellow quit swimming. Inside the hollow.

Very nice tank BTW. Have you tested the water?

OP
R

Rhobbs521

Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Yes algae lives under the hood!! Take it off and wipe it down with a pot scurbby.
Will do! Hope I fixes the smell!

ForceTen said:
My suspicions tell me that is exactly where the poor fellow quit swimming. Inside the hollow.

Very nice tank BTW. Have you tested the water?
Thanks my wife decorated that one I’ll give her the credit lol.
Yea I tested it two days ago and it read 0/0/0 ph at a stable 7.6

New Threads