Question Aquarium Smelling For A Few Hours? - Page 2

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21
OP
ostadsiah

ostadsiah

Active Member
Member
Messages
119
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Looks like we can check that off the list of possible reasons then. I know my tanks have their own unique odor. Not really unpleasant but there nonetheless.

It was kinda unpleasant way back during the time I had an infestations of pest snails. I got the snail population down to manageable levels and ran carbon in my filters for a short time and it removed the not so pleasant odor.

Do you by any chance have snails?
Yeah, I have ramshorns and mts. They're causing the smell?? (ノ゚0゚)ノ
But did your tank also smell for only an hour a day?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,517
Reaction score
12,409
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
ostadsiah said:
Yeah, I have ramshorns and mts. They're causing the smell?? (ノ゚0゚)ノ
But did your tank also smell for only an hour a day?
The snails is what I blamed mine on. They may have had nothing to do with it but once I brought the number of snails down and ran carbon for a short time the odor was gone.

No, the odor was pretty much there all the time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #23
OP
ostadsiah

ostadsiah

Active Member
Member
Messages
119
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
The snails is what I blamed mine on. They may have had nothing to do with it but once I brought the number of snails down and ran carbon for a short time the odor was gone.

No, the odor was pretty much there all the time.
Then it's still a mystery why it only stinks for a short time, and I'm using carbon in my filter all the time but still nothing!
But I'm gonna get rid of snails and see if it helps (they're eating my plants anyway!) Did you use chemicals to get rid of them or maybe with assassin snails?
 

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
12,517
Reaction score
12,409
Location
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
ostadsiah said:
Then it's still a mystery why it only stinks for a short time, and I'm using carbon in my filter all the time but still nothing!
But I'm gonna get rid of snails and see if it helps (they're eating my plants anyway!) Did you use chemicals to get rid of them or maybe with assassin snails?
Assassin snails
 

CindyVBPets

Active Member
Member
Messages
174
Reaction score
91
Location
Florida
Do you have wood in there? I bought a big piece on a slab from my local store's live tank when I was cycling a new tank and that thing ended up smelling up my tank and I found it had like a slime coating. I saw guys on youTube showing how to "clean it" but I just took it out permanently.

IDK about your light but I returned a Nicrew LED because it was heating up my 5 & 10 gallon tanks and Versa top for real. It sat very close to the glass. I just went back to old school florescent bulbs and a full lid.

Does it smell if you DON'T put the light on?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #26
OP
ostadsiah

ostadsiah

Active Member
Member
Messages
119
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
CindyVBPets said:
Do you have wood in there? I bought a big piece on a slab from my local store's live tank when I was cycling a new tank and that thing ended up smelling up my tank and I found it had like a slime coating. I saw guys on youTube showing how to "clean it" but I just took it out permanently.

IDK about your light but I returned a Nicrew LED because it was heating up my 5 & 10 gallon tanks and Versa top for real. It sat very close to the glass. I just went back to old school florescent bulbs and a full lid.

Does it smell if you DON'T put the light on?
I do have driftwood. Maybe tomorrow I can get it out and see if the tank still stinks or it was the driftwood.

But I don't really think the lamp is heating, cause it's like 2 feet above the aquarium.

Also, I haven't tested without turning on the lights. I could test it, but won't it be bad for plants?
 

CindyVBPets

Active Member
Member
Messages
174
Reaction score
91
Location
Florida
ostadsiah said:
I do have driftwood. Maybe tomorrow I can get it out and see if the tank still stinks or it was the driftwood.

But I don't really think the lamp is heating, cause it's like 2 feet above the aquarium.

Also, I haven't tested without turning on the lights. I could test it, but won't it be bad for plants?
I don't think it'll hurt anything having no light for one day. I'd try removing snails first.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #28
OP
ostadsiah

ostadsiah

Active Member
Member
Messages
119
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
So in case anyone was wondering, I removed the driftwood but my tank still smelled.
I ended up removing the whole gravel and changing substrate, and I got rid of all the snails. Now my tank doesn't smell anymore. At least not yet!
So the problem might have been the snails or something else about the gravel.
 

jdhef

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
14,346
Reaction score
3,470
Location
South Jersey
Experience
More than 10 years
One other source of a bad small that a lot of people don't think of is if fish food gets left on the rI'm of the tank or on the cross brace, you'll start getting a rather unpleasant odor.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #30
OP
ostadsiah

ostadsiah

Active Member
Member
Messages
119
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
jdhef said:
One other source of a bad small that a lot of people don't think of is if fish food gets left on the rI'm of the tank or on the cross brace, you'll start getting a rather unpleasant odor.
Makes sense, but it still beats me why it only smelled for a couple of hours a day, and was perfectly fine the other times.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
3,889
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
ostadsiah said:
Makes sense, but it still beats me why it only smelled for a couple of hours a day, and was perfectly fine the other times.
Okay, if the smell only happens when you turn the lights on, it's reasonable to assume that the odor is being caused by something in the light itself-or something the lights are heating up in the tank. Do your lights sit directly on top of a glass hood? Is there any organic material or water condensate inside the hood the lights could be heating up when they're turned on? Did you check carefully inside the light housing to make sure some big juicy bug didn't crawl in there and keeps getting broiled every time you turn the lights on? Did you check your light cord to make sure it isn't heating up and creating the smell?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #32
OP
ostadsiah

ostadsiah

Active Member
Member
Messages
119
Reaction score
40
Experience
1 year
Momgoose56 said:
Okay, if the smell only happens when you turn the lights on, it's reasonable to assume that the odor is being caused by something in the light itself-or something the lights are heating up in the tank. Do your lights sit directly on top of a glass hood? Is there any organic material or water condensate inside the hood the lights could be heating up when they're turned on? Did you check carefully inside the light housing to make sure some big juicy bug didn't crawl in there and keeps getting broiled every time you turn the lights on? Did you check your light cord to make sure it isn't heating up and creating the smell?
My lights are regular tubes without hoods or reflectors, and I didn't see anything that would be making the smell. And now that I've changed the substrate and have no snails, there's no smell. I didn't change the lights, so I don't think they were the problem...
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
3,889
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
ostadsiah said:
My lights are regular tubes without hoods or reflectors, and I didn't see anything that would be making the smell. And now that I've changed the substrate and have no snails, there's no smell. I didn't change the lights, so I don't think they were the problem...
K you fixed it! It was probably dead and dying snails.
 

MileyMorkie

Active Member
Member
Messages
385
Reaction score
164
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Experience
1 year
I've dealt with foul aquariums and the key things you need to know is phosphor. Your fish food, veggies, or filter can be the cause.

Dead snails can raise the ammonia by quite a lot. (we all know how awful ammonia smells) One thing to do is to be cautious of is the amount of phosphor found in peas. If you feed them algae wafers or some kind of tablet put it in a cup of water and let it sit, sometimes those things will be the cause. Clean or replace internal filter media sometimes that can cause the odour to linger. Try aeration pumps in the tank or lifting the lid at the hours the scent comes at. Water changes will do the trick to dilute and eliminate the stench but every single detail counts.
Oh almost forgot to include this; you should wipe down the lid as mould, food and other nasties can accumulate on the lid.

I mostly just burst in here to help didn't stop to read much of anything so if I missed details to the thread, I'm sorry for that.
 

jdhef

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
14,346
Reaction score
3,470
Location
South Jersey
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm happy to see the problem was solved
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
257
Guests online
3,633
Total visitors
3,890

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom