Aquarium slightly to big for stand

  • Thread starter Leonoor
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

Leonoor

New Member
Member
Messages
6
Hello everyone,

Ive got this awesome new tank 110cm x 44,5cm x 51cm. I thought i bought a good standard with the right size but it didnt turn out the right size. On the left and right side of the tank ive got like 10 cm left so that is no problem. On the front and back i need 2 cm space more so it will fit perfectly. Is this a problem? Or will this work?

aqua2.jpgaqua 1.jpg
 
  • #2

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,844
Leonoor said:
Hello everyone,

Ive got this awesome new tank 110cm x 44,5cm x 51cm. I thought i bought a good standard with the right size but it didnt turn out the right size. On the left and right side of the tank ive got like 10 cm left so that is no problem. On the front and back i need 2 cm space more so it will fit perfectly. Is this a problem? Or will this work?

aqua2.jpgaqua 1.jpg
As long as it doesn't hand off too much then that's fine. You could try to move the stand forward just a bit so that it hangs off the back and can be braced by the wall more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Leonoor

New Member
Member
Messages
6
AcornTheBetta said:
As long as it doesn't hand off too much then that's fine. You could try to move the stand forward just a bit so that it hangs off the back and can be braced by the wall more.

So it hangs of more at the end of the stand? Yes i can do that! But then the weight is no longer distributed right?
 
  • #4

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,844
Leonoor said:
So it hangs of more at the end of the stand? Yes i can do that! But then the weight is no longer distributed right?
Move off the back side so that it leans off the front and back an equal amount. I was just thinking how the wall could help. IDK sometimes I'm a little bit dumb
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Leonoor

New Member
Member
Messages
6
AcornTheBetta said:
Move off the back side so that it leans off the front and back an equal amount. I was just thinking how the wall could help. IDK sometimes I'm a little bit dumb
hahaha its not dumb, it is not leaning against the wall if i move it to the back so i dont think that will work. My dad said like if it is only 2 cm on each side it wont matter, but im still a bit worried hahaha.
 
  • Moderator
  • #6

smee82

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
6,445
I wouldnt risk it personally, i would at least add a plywood base one top of the stand so the glass has more support.
 
  • #7

kansas

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
use 1" plywood cut to fit the tank.

I had a 40 gallon tank spring a leak 40 years ago, it wasn't fun.
 
  • #8

gray18

Active Member
Member
Messages
131
Yeah... I wouldn't risk that. Anything that's not fully supported underneath or evenly is just setting up a recipe for disaster. Especially for such a large tank. It's going to put a lot of stress on the seams of the tank.
 
  • #9

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,923
Is there a rim / frame under the tank ?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Leonoor

New Member
Member
Messages
6
AcornTheBetta said:
Move off the back side so that it leans off the front and back an equal amount. I was just thinking how the wall could help. IDK sometimes I'm a little bit dumb
hahaha its not dumb, it is not leaning against the wall if i move it to the back so i dont think that will work. My dad said like if it is only 2 cm on each side it wont matter, but im still a bit worried hahaha.
kansas said:
use 1" plywood cut to fit the tank.

I had a 40 gallon tank spring a leak 40 years ago, it wasn't fun.

DoubleDutch said:
Is there a rim / frame under the tank ?
Not really

gray18 said:
Yeah... I wouldn't risk that. Anything that's not fully supported underneath or evenly is just setting up a recipe for disaster. Especially for such a large tank. It's going to put a lot of stress on the seams of the tank.
Can I also just buy plywood and place it on top of the stand and place the aquarium on that?

And ofcourse drill the plywood to the stand
 
  • #11

kansas

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
My aquarium came with a pad that went under the tank to even out any bumps in the wood. I've read that people cut yoga mats to fit under their tanks for that purpose.
 
  • #12

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,923
Leonoor said:
hahaha its not dumb, it is not leaning against the wall if i move it to the back so i dont think that will work. My dad said like if it is only 2 cm on each side it wont matter, but im still a bit worried hahaha.





Not really
So the glass leans directly on the stand ?
 
  • #13

BettaFishObsessed

Active Member
Member
Messages
317
Leonoor said:
Can I also just buy plywood and place it on top of the stand and place the aquarium on that?

And ofcourse drill the plywood to the stand
I think you could do that. As long as the edges aren’t fully unsupported, it should be fine. A piece of plywood would work.
 
  • #14

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
14,027
Leonoor said:
Can I also just buy plywood and place it on top of the stand and place the aquarium on that?

And ofcourse drill the plywood to the stand
This is your best option. I agree with all the others that said any overhang can cause problems down the road. I would get cabinet grade plywood. Some of the less expensive plywood can have voids inside them.
 
  • #15

ghostdawg

Well Known
Member
Messages
591
I had similar issue when I purchased a 20g long and had a 10g tank stand. I ended up getting a 4x4 piece of plywood to sit on top of the stand.

20200620_221251.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Leonoor

New Member
Member
Messages
6
mattgirl said:
This is your best option. I agree with all the others that said any overhang can cause problems down the road. I would get cabinet grade plywood. Some of the less expensive plywood can have voids inside them.
Thank you! I think I'm gonna do that! I will keep updated!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

Leonoor

New Member
Member
Messages
6
I fixed it!a319e468-69e4-4382-a043-048b527f6ba9.jpga319e468-69e4-4382-a043-048b527f6ba9.jpg799f7323-8af4-4012-a448-5805fdc5a88d.jpg
 
  • #18

kansas

Active Member
Member
Messages
490
You'll be glad you went to the trouble, if nothing else it saved you from worrying about it.
 
  • #19

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
14,027
Perfect. I agree with kansas By doing this you can rest assured that your tank is fully supported.
 
  • #20

Koneko

Active Member
Member
Messages
58
Nice, looks better, and it's safer too.
 
Top Bottom