Question Aquarium size and capacity in relation to frequency of feeding;

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyatt & alex

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have been reading the web about how many fish you can fit in a tank: 1 inch-1 gallon rule is very common and here the suggested 1 inch – 2/3 gallon. However, I was wondering if it is possible because of the nitrogen cycle to have more fish and feed them less (i.e. they create less waste) or have less fish and feed the more often (i.e. they will make more waste but it will be diluted in the water).
Also, I have seen a lot of different advice out there about the frequency [not the amount] of feeding fish - everything to once a week to 2/3 small meals a day. So, that is why I was wondering about the nitrogen cycle in relation to feeding, plus, when I go to the aquarium store they have all these fish packed into relatively small tanks and I am starting to wonder how do they do it.
Any clarification on this would be great. Thanks!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore. There are many things to consider when stocking a tank. Here are a few:
-adult size of the fish
-bioload
-footprint of the tank (tall or long)
-aggression
-schooling or nonschooling
-amount of filtration

The inch-per-gallon "rule" is a very basic rule for fish that do not get over 2 inches big. Some people like the rule for new hobbyists, but I don't really like it. I think the best thing to do is to plan carefully what you want your stock to be by thoroughly researching each type of fish you have, and then getting advice from experienced fishkeepers on a forum like this.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi welcome to FishLore!!
There are other considerations besides bio load and size to take into account when stocking a tank.
A couple that come to mind are swim space and an over crowded tank can lead to aggression issues.

Unlike our home filters, fish stores usually have a centralized filtering system that constantly move hundreds to thousands of gallons of water.
Fish Stores have a high turn over rate. All those fish you see are rarely in the tank for long.
In our tanks the fish are usually in that tank for their lifetime and we try to provide the best possible living conditions that we can.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

The others have given you great advice. For someone who is new to fishkeeping and is starting their first tank I would recommend stocking lightly rather than heavily. It leaves more room for error. It would be particularly wise to go light with a smaller tank as they are actually more difficult to maintain. Properly stocking your tank is the first step to keeping the tank healthy. A crowded tank (from the fish's point of view, not the keepers) can lead to stress which can lead to a compromised immune system in your fish. That means your fish are more susceptible to diseases that are common in aquariums (such as ICH), but healthy fish can normally fight off. As for feeding, a good rule to go by with most fish is to remember that their stomachs are about the size of one eye. Feeding is kind of trial and error. I personally believe it is better to feed twice a day for most fish. I think that once a day feedings can lead to constipation since people generally feed larger meals when they only feed once. Try feeding enough for the fish to eat it all in around one minute. If there is leftover food falling to the bottom of the tank then just scale back your feedings by however much is left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom