Aquarium Setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DappleDoxie, Apr 14, 2018.

1. D

DappleDoxie New Member Member

Would it be cheaper to buy an aquarium kit, or to buy all of the things separate? I'm just looking to set up a 10g for a betta fish.

2. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

It depends on what you want..

3. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

For a 10 gallon, it really does depend.

You'll need a filter and a heater (duh), but most kits don't include a heater. If it were me, I'd buy the tank on it's own, and buy your filter and heater separately so you get to pick which ones you want. Most of the included filters in kits are pretty bad (Top Fin aren't horrible, but almost all of the Tetra filters I've had break in a few months).

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

If you have access to Amazon, I would recommend just ordering some "add on" items if you have that option. I just got the whisper 10 for like $4, and there are some good heaters for $10-15, there's good silicone airline tubing for $4-7, a check valve is basically a dollar or less, and I'm sure there are sponge filters too. And I think Petco's dollar per gallon sale is still going on, so you could grab a tank for ten. I say try a couple of different websites and compare prices for individual parts vs the kit.

5. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

My opinion is to buy everything separate. It's not cheaper tho just better quality

I bought a 37 gal top fin kit. I've replace every piece of it

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  6. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

For a small tank like 10 I'd just buy the kit. This will give you the tank, the light, the hood, and a filter. To buy the tank alone is like $23 then the hood $24, then the filter etc, it all adds up. A kit is like $25.

7. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

I got a 2.5 gallon kit for $25 dollars at walmart.

It came with the lid, filter, fish food, water treatment, and a filter cartridge.

8. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

If you are looking just to house a betta, you can get a decent kit and just add a heater. The included filter with our 10 gallon kit is not very strong, but it should do for a single betta. I think it’s much more expensive to get all the components for a 10 gallon separately. We have one 10 gallon kit, and two basically free 10 gallon tanks on their own. It’s costing me more money to find all the accessories separately (canopy, lights, thermometer, heater, filter) for the 10 gallon than it was for the 10 gallon kit on sale. For larger tanks that’ll be home to more/bigger/messier fish, you’ll want to customize your equipment as you’ll most likely need at least a more powerful filter.

Sorry, just to add, we have the Marina 10 gallon kit with LED lights. I’m very happy with it. The filter is good quality, just low gph.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice