Aquarium Setup Pics!

Biggestcanesfan

Reaction score
What’s up everybody, From NC :) hope all is well! New to the site and just getting back into it! I want to see some awesome pics of everyone’s setup. I’ll start! I have a 29g with 8 tiger barbs. had 9 but one was cloudy when I brought it home and it died within hours, 5 Cory cats, and a flame dwarf gourami that claimed the cave and doesn’t come out unless there’s food.. I want to do a bigger tank soon and Don’t know which route I’ll take on that one! So ideas are helpful! GO CANES!

Attachments

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome. Nice tank, the blue gravel is certainly eye catching. I wonder if some extra cover or even a couple of female dwarf gouramis will help make your guy feel more comfortable in the open.

I don't know what Canes are but I wish them luck. ;)

My current layout, always slowly evolving according to my whims:

Biggestcanesfan

Reaction score
Very nice! Are those boesemans? Pretty color! And that substrate is awesome! Is it just sand with gravel? Looks like the moon. Nice set up! Excuse me if I word anything wrong. Haven’t been in the game for about 8 years lol. I missed it so much! Also I have a fake lily pad type plant coming tomorrow. Do you think that Would be enough? Hopefully your right! It didn’t cross my mind with those 2 tall plants being there but I think the tigers took those. Not 100% comfortable with real plants yet. Haven’t done my research on lighting and all that although I Want to try real plants when I set up my next tank.

Kinda using this tank as a test to get back in the swing of things.. going well so far!

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes there are some Boesemani in there. The substrate is just a mix of 2 types of sand. I think some extra cover may help your gourami. The Tiger Barbs don’t pick on him do they? Can understand your hesitation with live plants, I kept only fake ones for many years. You don’t have to switch over entirely, just mix in one or two easy grow plants to begin with and see how you go.

Biggestcanesfan

Reaction score
I’ll read up on them and my mind is always changing as well so we shall see where that will lead. No the tigers don’t mess with him. When he does come out to feed it’s almost like they’re fascinated with each other and just kinda stare.. the Cats do their own thing and neither mess with those.. what is your recommendation on a starter plant?

Just saw your cichlids! Those are always fun! Do they Get along with the BR? I was actually thinking about BR’s and cichlids but went with what I got..

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What’s BR? Bristlenose? They don’t bother her. The cichlids are not interested in other fish except for a bit of huff and puff when they are breeding. Lots of easy grow plants to choose from, anubias and java fern can be attached to decorations, plants like water wisteria, Amazon swords, vallisneria, hornwart etc can be planted in the gravel.

Biggestcanesfan

Reaction score
Boesemani rainbows. Sorry lol thank you so much! That was another huge thing for me is I don’t know what can grow in gravel and what couldn’t. I was reading a little yesterday about it and a lot seemed to need/want sand..

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Some might prefer sand but most easy to grow plants will do fine in gravel. Many of them will grow fine even if left floating on the surface.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom