Aquarium setup for a Nemachelius or Noemachelius (Stone/Hillstream Loach)

NoviceShepherd88

Hello all!

I acquired a Noemachelius a couple of months back. It came into a Petco with a bunch of 'black java loaches.' The poor guy seemed anxious in the tank at the store. I instantly knew I wanted it and after a while of digging I figured out what breed it was. However, during my investigation into the species I keep seeing the environment it is pulled from is very shallow. Shallow as in six to twelve inches at most. A few websites suggest having the aquarium set up like a stream, with a powerhead, sand, smooth stones, etc.

I am wondering if the water level should be lower than the average aquarium?

It is currently in a 30g

Tankmates:
1 Betta
2 Clown Pleco
4 Corydoras
3 Bumblebee catfish.
1 Nemachelius

I've tried to scape the aquarium to be natural with several hiding places for all my reclusive fish. However, I would call this tank more of a pond than a stream.

Almost nonstop this little dude is glass surfing. Not just up and down, but from one side of the aquarium to the next to a loop de loop amidst the airstream above the airstone. It will stop for food and is almost always the first to eat, it has a great sense of smell and darts faster than the other fish. During feeding time, and for a little while after it will calm down and exhibits what I would call typical behavior. Being a bit more exploratory around the tank and not moving with such urgency.

So my question(s)

Has anyone on here ever kept one of these little guys, if so what was your setup like?

Would a lower water level be more comfortable for this Balitoridae (Hillstream Loach/ Nemachelius etc)?

It is suggested they like to shoal, would getting a couple more potentially mellow it out?

Would rehoming in a different aquarium, more akin to a stream be ideal?

-----------------------------
I believe the breed is

Nemachelius Platiceps - Nemachelius platiceps — Loaches Online

or

Nemacheilus Chrysolaimos (likely this one) Nemacheilus chrysolaimos - Wikipedia

Attachments

• KIMG0500.JPG
    KIMG0500.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 128
  • KIMG0580.JPG
    KIMG0580.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 124

christiangrenier

That is a lot of fish for one tank.... Almost overstocked. Move it somewhere else, but it’s your decision. I don’t think you’d want to give it up though... If you are so considering a stream, try a wavemaker in an aquarium. Get a couple other little guys for ’em.

Wolf010

Betta won't enjoy the really strong current u r trying to create

christiangrenier

Betta won't enjoy the really strong current u r trying to create

He would move the Hillstream loach. If he did get a wavemaker, the betta would not be in the tank with it.

NoviceShepherd88

That is a lot of fish for one tank.... Almost overstocked. Move it somewhere else, but it’s your decision. I don’t think you’d want to give it up though... If you are so considering a stream, try a wavemaker in an aquarium. Get a couple other little guys for ’em.

If I was to set up a new tank do you think simulating the depth of a creek/stream would be beneficial or necessary?

Also, my bumblebee catfish are the South American variety, they're pretty small. Do you really think I'm encroaching on being overstocked?

aussieJJDude

I personally dint think the tank is massively overstocked, rsther you have had unsuitsble tankmates. As you're aware, these loaches come from cool, fast flowing, highly oxygenated (often clear) streams while the other fish tend to come from slow/no moving bodies of water, usually pretty warm, often have low oxygen dissolved content due to last of surface agitation, and usually pretty silty/muddy waters.

I think your loach would appreciate a school in a long aquarium, where you set up up as a stream styled tank. They social, so multiple would never be a bad idea.

Something set up along the lines of these:
The secret to setting up a better river aquarium

this one is pretty cool!

Would be nice. In a well set up aquarium, you may even get spawning behaviours.

(You could set up a stream tank with these guys and hillstream loaches, gobies, minnows or danios (white clouds!) Or smaller rainbowfish.

christiangrenier

If I was to set up a new tank do you think simulating the depth of a creek/stream would be beneficial or necessary?

Also, my bumblebee catfish are the South American variety, they're pretty small. Do you really think I'm encroaching on being overstocked?

Well, not necessary, but highly recommended. Despite being small, having a lot of one type is not good, since catfish need room.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Replies
Views