Aquarium Salt

1. Rudy Briskar

Rudy Briskar Valued Member Member

I have heard that aquarium salt promotes gill health and slime coat but I have also heard that it will kill aquatic plants. What sayest thou?

2. Iluv2fs907

Iluv2fs907 New Member Member

cant say about aquarium salt however i have use epson salt and plant have done well and no negitive reaction to fish

3. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Are you talking about using salt all the time to keep fish healthy? Or using salt as a treatment option if the fish get sick?

4. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Using the aquarium slat everyday could potentially dry out and kill the plants you have in your tank. I would recommend using the aquarium salt in small doses every once in a while, or a larger dose when your treating an illness.

5. R

No. Aquarium salt doesn't need to be used at all unless it's for an illness.

6. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Sure it doesn't need to be used, but it depends on the fish that he has, some like it/need it every once in a while, such as molly fish.

7. R

If he has a fish that needs brackish water then he should be using the salt all the time. That's a whole other topic. Helping gill health and slime coat is completely different than a fish that requires brackish water.

8. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Aquarium salt should not be used permanently in a Freshwater Aquarium.

9. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It is a huge question.

A coastal species from old coral or limestone is salt tolerant. So guppies, mollies, etc can handle salt. Some species move in and out of brackish, and in the dozen different molly species (our fish are hybrids) there are 2 salt loving species.

A rainforest species will suffer from salt. It evolved far from that chemical, and its body will have a hard time processing it.

Salt as a med is an irritant. The fish produces slime to defend itself from the sting, and the slime sloughs off parasites. A coastal species will feel salt a lot less than an inland one - they may even like it.

Salt kills some parasites. Tannic acid, the other extreme, kills others.

The biggest mistake we can make in planning tanks is to think fish are just fish. Each species is a different creature with a different natural history and different needs, adaptations and behavior. Some like salt, some hate it, some die from it.

And aquarium salt is just marine salt, kosher salt or picking salt - pure, non iodized salt. You are paying a lot for the box...

10. C

ChiefBrody Valued Member Member

I've had some success with using salt for illness. Also some plants like fish tolerate it more than others - some not at all! I've currently stocked a tank with supposedly salt tolerant species in hopes of creating a planted/brackish tank. for now it's FW. These were the plants chose I from my research:
    Bacopa Carolina
    Hornwort
    Jungle Val Americana
    Crypt Becketti
    Anubias Coffeola
    Anubias Congoenesis

So far everything's doing great in a large hi-tec set-up after being treated once heavily with aquarium salt for fish immune health

11. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

The choice of plants for light salt above is a well researched one.

There is zero evidence though that salt helps immune health.

The kidneys in fish are huge, as keeping the balance between water in and out is crucial to them. In a hard water species, evolved with a higher mineral content in its water (a platy, an mbuna, a Celebes rainbow...) salt is one of the minerals that helps them balance. It is the cheapest, so we use it a lot to harden water for the appropriate species. That will help their overall health, if you have softer water from your tap.

In a softwater species (a Corydoras, a cardinal, a rainforest Cichlid) the arrival of salt is a massive stress that destroys their health. It's an alien chemical that noting in their evolution has prepared them for.

It all depends on the fish, its origin, and why you are using salt. Used correctly, it is great. But we always over-generalize in this hobby.

12. OP
    OP
    Rudy Briskar

Rudy Briskar Valued Member Member

Thank you all for your replies.