Aquarium Salt

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BReefer97, Apr 23, 2017.

1. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Hey all :)

So, with my new betta fish (5g tank, cycled, heated, filtered), during the last water change I did, I added some aquarium salt to help lower my fish's stress and to heal his fins. It has helped tremendously and he has much more personality now. My only question is, if I'm doing 50%-75% (depending on waste/water condition) water changes weekly, when is it safe to add aquarium salt again? I know during the water changes I'm doing, the salt that is in there still remains. Would I have to do a 100% water change if I was to add more aquarium salt? Not saying I'm going to, I'm trying to monitor how the water changes alone are helping his fun growth - but if it doesn't work, I need to know how to properly use the aquarium salt.

Thank you! :)

Attached Files:

2. Castiel*Well Known MemberMember

If I'm not mistaken the water that evaporates out of your tank is when the salt levels stay the same. But doing a water change removes about the percentage of salt in the water that you siphoned out.

(Ex. If you add a tablespoon to 5 gallons of water, doing a 50% water change would remove half of the salt in the tank leaving you with Half a tablespoon of salt in your water column)

3. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Alright! So in a few water changes, my water should be essentially salt free? :)

4. Castiel*Well Known MemberMember

Essentially yes, I don't normally use salt with my tanks, but I imagine that's how it works on a dilution scale.

5. fisshWell Known MemberMember

If the betta is doing better because of the salt, why not keep that amount of salt in the tank? What motodude said about water changes and the amount of salt left, is right.

6. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Well that's why I was asking! With the water changes I do weekly, the salt content will eventually be gone. I don't plan on adding more unless he gets stressed out again or unless his fins need some more help healing :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice