Aquarium salt

1. H

Hamham New Member Member

I have a freshwater 20 gallon tank but I'm thinking to use the jungle Aquarium salt for my fish( you know how it helps with stress and stuff) but I've never used it before so plz tell me how to use it?? Do I do it with water change or what??

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

There's no need to add aquarium salt to your tank. I would only add salt to a tank if you were quarantining a sick fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

yeah don't do it, I did it recently, being uneducated on the stuff and one of my fish instantly started acting up, the usual slowly dying symptom. just don't use it unless you are going to OT a sick fish

4. lily potter1223

lily potter1223 Valued Member Member

Agree with the above ^^ And plants don't do well in salt water anyways. I think mollies do better with salt in the tank.. but I'm not sure.

5. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Yup, no need for it. I've heard some people don't even prescribe it for sick fish.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No need for it at all. Even when fish are sick, imo, there are far better treatments.
    Some fish are sensitive to salt, too. It can cause more harm than good.

7. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

With Anders. Even when treating ich I don't use salt. I use heat and Rid Ich Plus.

8. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I was using aquarium salt for my Molly fry just to have in there and it was fine until I did a water change and wasn't able to match salinity. 12 of them died in two days. So yeah, don't do aquarium salt unless you really need to

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

10. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree, freshwater fish don't really need it

11. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Aquarium salt will cause more harm than good in most setups. There are very few situations in which I would recommend using it and "to reduce stress and stuff" is certainly not one of them.

12. EricV

13. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

The link won't post because the website is on the blocked set of words, much like cuss words. They block websites for various reasons, including one that took time to bash fishlore.

Don't try to circumvent it in the thread.

14. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

IMO nothing wrong with aquarium salt to use with guppies, endlers and mollies or other slightly brackish fish. Or when treating for parasites or bacteria. It has anti-microbal and paracide qualites to it....why else would the have used salt to store food before refridgerators?

15. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Aquarium salt doesn't change freshwater into brackish water, no matter how much you add. To the brackish fish, it would be no different than freshwater. The fact that the fish you listed do not require brackish water but rather just hard water to survive is the only reason that it doesn't harm them. If you were adding aquarium salt with fish like a knight goby, violet goby, scats, or any other full brackish fish, they would have short life spans.

16. Matt68046

Matt68046 Valued Member Member

Sarcasm, i use Aquarium salt and sometimes marine salt as well. I use to use marine salt on guppies and mollies at fairly high concentrations sometimes, almost brackish. Some fish farms raise thier guppies and mollies in partial seawater for this very reason, particulary their fry. I don't find this whole "its useless" thread to represent the entire realm of fishkeeping, especially livebearers. Some people actually swear by it.

17. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

The only way ive ever used it was as a dip when treating for Ich in my guppies a while back. It causes the spots to lose their osmotic balance, and helps them fall off while also cleansing the sores that were there after the spots fell off. It helped treatment for me, as it meant more spots werent falling off back into the tank. Guppies as well as other livebearers are hardwater fish, so they tolerate this kind of dip well. Other fish though, are a bit more sensitive, like Tetras and such. Catfish and other "scalelesss" fish are extremely sensitive to it.

18. skar

skar Well Known Member Member

Either way your fish will be okay.
    Is it necessary to have salt in fresh water ?? No... Especially in a new tank.

However It does not have to be brackish or marine to use a little salt.
    I do use a little in my tank as a micro nutrient, with scale less fish and snails; there has been no harm ime.

19. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Using marine salt with freshwater fish is not a good idea. And all live bearers are not tolerant of salt. Only mollies. In regards to keeping them in it. Using it for dips is ok.

Using aquarium salt with scaleless fish is like pouring salt in an open wound from what I hear. You may not see negative effects immediately, but I would imagine it shortens their life.

There really is no reason for any type of salt with fresh water fish. Even for disease. There are meds that are more effective in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

20. EricV

If you're using standard aquarium salt and not marine salt the only "micro nutrient" you're adding is sodium.