Aquarium Salt Question

cassidypesant

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey there, I'm Cassidy and I got my first betta, Gregory, a few weeks ago. There are only 2 pet stores in my area and the Petsmart I got Gregory from isn't the most reputable. After doing a significant amount of reading on this forum and others I was concerned that Gregory was showing signs of fin rot, so following a post I saw, I treated him with 2 tsp of aquarium salt diluted in a small amount of water and added to his 3 gallon tank.
I didn't think anything I saw was severe enough for him to be removed from his tank for a salt bath. Any fin ends that concerned me have since cleared up but I know that prolonged exposure to aquarium salt can be dangerous. I only added it to his water the one time 2 days ago after doing a 25% water change. Should I be doing another partial water change now or will this salt cause any harm? I don't want to stress him out unnecessarily but I also don't want to hurt him. Sorry if this is a silly question but I didn't see any recent posts about it and I don't want to see anything happen to him.

Salye1mj

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't think the salt will do harm. Just be sure not to add more without an appropriate water change to compensate for the salinity. I do salt baths because that way I know the salt isn't In my aquarium and I won't have to do the math on how much to add and his much water to change to rid of it.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Usually fin rot, if not severe, can be completely healed with large and frequent water changes (50% 2-3 times a week). I would go that route first before adding anymore salt or using meds.

BettaGems

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Completely off topic but I love that you named your betta Gregory! It reminds me of my aunts duck named Larry. It's so weird and unusual that it makes it awesome!

~ "No wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise." ~

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Reference post #32 in the link above.

I do not advocate the use of salt in fresh water aquariums. It simply is not necessary and may do more harm than good.

Ken

Whitewolf

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know where I stand on this issue. I have used AQ salt, and marine salt when treating bacterial and mould (fungal) infections on my guppies and mollies, and it seemed to work for me, but OFC I was also using M. Blue and Terramycin for pin-tail fry disease.
There are some ornamental fish farms in the orient that mix seawater with freshwater in their fry ponds to "ward off disease"
If you or anyone wishes to read up about this, that is where I would start.
Before they had refigerators, people use to pack meat in salt..........it must have anti-bacteria and anti-fungus properties, as does gargling with salt and using it on a wound stearilize those things.
Wouldn't the same be true for external fish problems?

New Threads