Aquarium salt in Freshwater tanks

1. i

ivarnarik Valued Member Member

Hello everyone,
    I've been reading up common aquarium fish diseases.
    The Tetra website recommends adding aquarium salt (1 tbs. per gallon) to freshwater aquariums to prevent diseases like dropsy and clamped fin.

Adding aquarium salt to a freshwater aquarium does not sound right to me.
    it would probably increase the pH for one thing, and my water is already around 8.

Please let me know what you guys think.

2. C

CLam Well Known Member Member

Aquarium salt is not going to increase the pH. There have been debates over whether affects kH/GH, but not pH. As a supplement, aquarium salt can be quite beneficial to freshwater creatures, who need electrolytes like sodium for gill function. Of course, some fish are more sensitive to salt than others, but I don't think you'll find too many opinions against aquarium salt on this forum. And yes, salt baths can be used to treat disease in freshwater fish.

Personally, I go for one tablespoon per 5-10 gallons. 1 TB per gallon sounds like a salt bath to me, which is unnecessary for fish that are not currently ailing, and thus, overkill if your intent is prevention.

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Aquarium salt has its uses eg treating injuries & it has been used to help treat ich but there are reports of salt resistant strains of Ich now because of the use of salt as a prophylactic, the same as our over use of antibiotics we now have superbugs.
    Most fish do not need salt & for some it can be an irritant so imo salt should only be used as a short term treatment

4. OP
    OP
    i

ivarnarik Valued Member Member

Thanks for your inputs guys..I'll keep this in mind

5. A

Anita Vidgen Valued Member Member

It depends on what sort of fish u have, my Clown Loaches don't like salt. I believe salt is good for live bearers, or so I have been told.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Mortisha

Mortisha Valued Member Member

Scaleless fish such as corydoras, loaches, etc...can't handle any amount of salt so should not be used. You can slowly turn the temp up in tank to 86 for 2wks to get rid of ich, I did it for 1mth just to make sure. Learned my lesson now I quarantine any new fish. Your snail may not do well with salt either.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Using salt is kind of a polarizing issue. Some people swear by it, others have no value for it. I fall into the having no value for it camp. But others will of course disagree and have all kinds of success stories about using it. So in the end it is a personal choice.

But I'm of the philosophy that I do not like to add anything to my tank unless necessary. My fish are all doing fine, and are all fish that would be in water that contains no salt in the wild, so I cannot see any benefit to using it. And all fish diseases that people use salt to treat, can also be treated in a way that does not require salt.