Aquarium safe UK alternative to Drylock

1. Carvill

Carvill New Member Member

Hey!

First post so be gentle! I discovered this forum when I stumbled across EUFolks' thread about his DIY 3D background and became heavily inspired. (https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/diy-do-yourself/161057-diy-3d-background.html)

I then set out on a quest to create one of my own, although I hit a problem almost immediately, Drylock? is this only available in the US? - If that is the case, is there a safe alternative out there? Drylock seems to be the talk of the tank and very little on alternative products.

Does anyone from the UK have any experience in this? safe alternative to Drylock?

Thanks for your time everyone, general loving the vibe of this forum.

C:;pickle

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hopefully you will receive some responses before long.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken :)

3. OP
    OP
    Carvill

Cheers Ken! Looks like no one wants to help :( haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

What is dry lock? ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Is that some kind of silicone adhesive or sealant?

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It's a water proofer used in ply tanks. I'm not sure of the UK alternative off the top of my head. I can get one for you later though.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

6. BDpups

7. OP
    OP
    Carvill

Thanks for the research and help on the topic!! However the Amazon link you provided has the product listed as unavailable.

I came across the same link myself and was disappointed to see it wasn't in stock. :(

8. BDpups

Hmmm... Maybe just keep checking back? I know there are things on Amazon I buy on a regular basis and sometimes they are out of stock. But they will get back in eventually...

9. OP
    OP
    Carvill

Will do! I'm just impatient haha!
    Thanks again for the help!

10. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!

12. BDpups

There is stuff you can use besides drylock too. Pond armor is one. You may look for that too. Or another type of pond sealant. The thing with pond armor it's a pain to use. Very thick.

Sweet water is another one over here. I think that's the one you need to have plenty of ventilation if used indoors. Might need to check for sure on that though.

13. OP
    OP
    Carvill

Checking out all the suggestions as we speak! Cheers guys

14. OP
    OP
    Carvill

Hey guys,

As I was still not able to get my hands on DryLock and alternatives were very expensive (and came in quantities way larger than what is required). I found myself following similar methods online using cement.

The cement I ended up using was pond safe cement. I then achieved the right colouring with 100% acrylic paint.

According to people online that have done this any cement can be used. Personally I didn't trust this and wanted to go something with a little more security so chose the pond safe version.

People who have just used normal cement have recommended doing about 15 water changes before adding fish.

As I just have the one tank with fish currently living in there this isn't really an option for me. So for the past two weeks the background has been bathing in a bath with a water change 2/3 times a day.

The background is split up into three parts to fit in the tank I am looking to introduce the first part tonight followed by the next tomorrow and the final the day after tomorrow. Then more than usual water changes for a few weeks.

I am told the reason the need for so many water changes is down to the cement causing the pH of the tank to rise. I am hoping this shouldn't be too much of a problem as I have chosen pond safe cement and the 2 weeks of water changes I have carried out in the bath.

Does this ring any alarm bells for anybody? I'm sure there will be a few people that would advise against this! I've seen it being done in a lot more carefree manor but I'm just trying to avoid any terrible mistakes!

Let me know what you think guys, worries about this one!

15. BerryBeezy

BerryBeezy Valued Member Member

I've heard that cement raises the ph as long as it's in the tank. The pond safe may be different. I'm assuming that the cement has made each of three pieces heavy enough to sink without using silicone to secure them down. Otherwise you may not be able to put the background in because the silicone needs about 2 or 3 days to cure before adding water. Again that's info I got from google when I did my background. It may not be the case but I would definitely check into it.

16. BDpups

There is concrete that is fish safe. Most landscape companies can get it or have it.

17. OP
    OP
    Carvill

All sorted and the fish are happy!

Ignore the bottom, that's next!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1440174624.365795.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1440174669.433242.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1440174685.281902.jpg

18. BerryBeezy

BerryBeezy Valued Member Member