aquarium safe sand??

rileyrk190
I bought some white play sand (for sand boxes), at walmart, got it home and the bag said not for aquarium use on it. Does this mean I can't use it even if I boil it? I have read lots of threads on here recommending play sand. I put it in my ten gallon after I boiled it anyway. It still has to cycle so there aren't any fish in it. I am thinking that it said not for aquariums because it didnt come sanitized........Let me know what anyone thinks...

sirdarksol
Not sure on this one. I know that play sand has sharper edges, which can be bad for bottom-feeders' barbels. It also may be that the play sand has a higher percentage of ultra-fine silica, which would float in the water column. Silica dust can be really damaging stuff.

rileyrk190
will the silica dust be boiled out? Secondly..if it clearly states on the package that the silica dust is carcinogenic if inhaled, how could this possibly be safe for children to play in? I guess that's walmart for ya..

crabbyabby
Riley, the only recommendation I have for you is to stir your sand once you get it in there good, after a day or two, and continue to stir the sand until you have released most or all of the air bubbles that get trapped. There will be quite a bit of debris but just change your filter after getting the bubbles out and you should be fine. I used play sand and did not even boil it and my fish are fine.

Butterfly
Play sand is really dusty and takes forever to get rinsed enough to go into the aquarium. I have used it and it can be done But then I discovered Pool filter sand and will never use play sand again. Pool filter sand has rounder particles and doesn't have to be rinsed
I have never seen that warning on play sand before, there maybe something else mixed with it.
Caol

rileyrk190
thank, for you input! I boiled and rinsed it really well. its going in my planted ten..fish won't be going in for a while so the stuff should filter out..

Amanda
I was planning on using play sand in my new 55 gallon. Is there any precautions that I should take?

rileyrk190
I rinsed mine, and then boiled it on the stove just to be safe. Honestly though, after using sand..I really didn't care for it. It is easily stirred up, and the dirt is much more apparent with sand. Not trying to scare you away from sand, just letting you know what to expect.

griffin
I just rinsed mine, and it was fine. I really like it since it makes cleaning super quick/easy

cichlidlover
How do you clean and vacuum sand once its in there?

lilFishyfish
That's odd. I bought some from I think it was Home Depot and I didn't see anything about not using it in a aquarium on the bag, but I'm sure each brand is different. I've had it my tank for about 4 months, I had originally had gravel but because I have peacock eels I needed sand to truly keep them happy. It did take a long time to clean the sand but it was okay since It was like $3.50. If I were you i'd use the pool fitler sand like Carol suggested since there might be a reason why they labeled this brand play sand not safe for aquarium....I'm really not sure though...sorry!

rileyrk190
I used it anyways, and it was fine..but thanks though

griffin
it's super easy to clean. since the particles are small, the debris will just sit on top. so all you have to do is sweep the vac close to the surface, but not touching the surface. the debris will come up, but the sand will stay down. occasiionally, you'll have to poke around the sand with a fork or something like that, but if you have lots of plants or malaysian trumpet snails, that can be avoided.

soldieroffortune1974
The only trouble with sand is that gases get trapped below the surface,the bottom has to be stirrred every few weeks. It can be kind of messy until you get used to it.

cichlidlover
oh okay I was thinking about asking for a 50 gallon tank for more african cichlids.(I already have three in a 30 gal) But anyway I was want ing sand because its pretty.

soldieroffortune1974
It's real easy to clean the sand,but takes some practice. You just have to remember to keep the intake tube from your power filters away from the sand,or it will suck the sand into your filters.When you vacuum,don't get too close to it. I usually wave the wand over the area I want to clean,and vacuum out what rises up by the motion. Then,as I said;every few weeks you have to stir up the bottom to release the gases that build up.Remember to turn off your filters and power heads,when you stir up the sand or they will suck it up.Once the sand settles,turn them back on.

cichlidlover
Ok I can't wait for that tank!!!

griffin
to avoid having to stir up the tank, you could also get some malaysian trumpet snails or go planted. the trumpet snails will stir up the sand for you continously, and the plant roots will also take care of the issue. I personally used both mts and plants, but it's more personal preference at that point.

GreenMan13
For cleaning I take off the clear wide tube and just stick the narrow end near the sand. At first you will suck up a bit of sand with it but soon enough you will get the hang of it and it is much quicker to clean then a gravel bottom since more of the junk just sits on the top of the sand.

I don't stir it up since I have MTS and plants to keep it clean under the surface. You can get MTS for free btw at any LFS since they grow like weeds. Mine only come out at night too so you don't see a swarm (maybe 5 at most across the whole 55 gallon tank) durring the day when the lights are on.

cichlidlover
oh okay...sounds easy enough!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Magnus919
Replies
Views
Maya Boone
Replies
Views
Warriah