Aquarium Safe Rocks? Question

1. Shane Dostie Member Member

Hi I'm looking to an aquascape on my 50 gallon goldfish aquarium. I plan on collecting rocks but how do I know they won't alter the perimeters of my water? I watched a video and know that muriatic acid works but I went to go buy some and was warned that it is extremely dangerous and my parents would not let me get it. I heard vinegar works but I know it's not that dependable. Also, I saw someone using a 10 to one solution in bleach but I do not know about that because i do not want to harm my goldfish in any way. I would buy rocks at a pet store but they don't have the weathered rocks I'm looking for and they are expensive. Any help with finding aquarium safe rocks? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

2. abheeshs Member Member

I get weather withered rocks... which you know have been in the open for long time. The nature will clean it out for you, my fishes are fine. Also, do a vinegar test. Soak them in water 2 days before using. Still there are some rocks which can change water parameters like limestone, don't use those.

3. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Petco has rocks at a decent price. As for the vinegar test, I substituted lemon juice which worked the same.

4. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Coal, sandstone (test this, it depends) quartz, basalt, flint, granite, lava rocks, and slate are inert and aquarium safe.
    Chalk, marble, limestock, and tufa rock will raise pH.

5. Shane Dostie Member Member

Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I will soak them for a few days and test the ph and see how it changes.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Vinegar works fine, just pour some on a rock and see if it fizzes or not. Generally, this works.