Aquarium-safe Plastic to glass adhesive?

CliCliW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey all!

I'm looking for an adhesive to stick a plastic bit onto my glass aquarium. I had initially planned on using aquarium safe silicon, but my boyfriend said if it's just a sealant it might not be strong enough to make the plastic stick well enough.

I'm going to use two plastic fittings to create a sliding glass lid on my 15gal, so it needs to be able to stay.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Kindafishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I used silicon to adhere a plastic tool-holder to the side of my aquarium. I keep 3 scissors and 2 tweezers held there. I have had no problems with the bond pulling away.

I did remove it once to change locations. Some dental floss made it a super easy job.

CliCliW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cool, I should have no problems once I find some silicon so!

Is silicon labelled as "aquarium sealant" a good idea to use? If so I might pick some up online.

briwayjones

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is silicon labelled as "aquarium sealant" a good idea to use? If so I might pick some up online.
Regular silicone caulking/sealant from the store is the same as the silicone labeled "aquarium silicone" as long as it's the regular kind and not the mold and mildew resistant kind. Just a lot cheaper. Don't get the mold and mildew resistant kind though, that has extra junk in it. And even if it's not labeled on the front as mold and mildew resistant look on the back also and make sure it doesn't say it.

CliCliW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Regular silicone caulking/sealant from the store is the same as the silicone labeled "aquarium silicone" as long as it's the regular kind and not the mold and mildew resistant kind. Just a lot cheaper. Don't get the mold and mildew resistant kind though, that has extra junk in it. And even if it's not labeled on the front as mold and mildew resistant look on the back also and make sure it doesn't say it.
See I'm so hopeless at hardware that I really have no idea what I'm looking for. An awful lot of what I saw in stores was non silicone. I also say something saying get one for kitchen and bathroom as that's less likely to have anti mould and mildew stuff in it and the one I found had anti mould slapped across it.

Once you say it's OK to use whatever silicone sealant once it's not got anti mould in it though, that's sounds easy enough to work with :)

Siould

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use Marineland Silicone. It comes in a squeeze tube. Just make sure the silicone is dry before you submerse it in water. It is completely clear, too.

briwayjones

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
See I'm so hopeless at hardware that I really have no idea what I'm looking for. An awful lot of what I saw in stores was non silicone.
There is a lot of different products out there and it is confusing. Basically what you're looking for is something with the most basic title. Something like "Silicone Caulking - Clear color", nothing else. And then look on the back and double check it doesn't say it's mold and mildew resistant. But with all of the different stuff out there I could see why you would want to just order aquarium silicone and leave no doubt.

Siould

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any product made for aquariums should be fine. I wouldn't purchase anything from a hardware store. But, that's just me. Better safe than sorry.

CliCliW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Any product made for aquariums should be fine. I wouldn't purchase anything from a hardware store. But, that's just me. Better safe than sorry.
I was thinking find one on ebay that's specifically under "aquarium silicone" to be absolutely certain really. I'm not in a rush for it as I'm taking this super duper slow :) I'm. Thinking eBay is my safest bet and just look for an aquarium brand g recognise. That will be perfect.

Is it OK to use the silicone as an adhesive say if I stick two bits of driftwood together too?

Thanks!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't have to get "aquarium silicone". Any 100% silicone without anti-fungals will do. The ones that are aquarium safe generally say so on the label. I know DAP makes an aquarium-safe silicone, and it's a lot cheaper than the stuff you find at aquarium stores.

CliCliW

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You don't have to get "aquarium silicone". Any 100% silicone without anti-fungals will do. The ones that are aquarium safe generally say so on the label. I know DAP makes an aquarium-safe silicone, and it's a lot cheaper than the stuff you find at aquarium stores.
In a quick browse in a hardware store then I could find only one make that even mentioned aquariums and that was to say it wasn't suitable. Most of them didn't even mention it.

I will look into DAP and see if it's available here. Otherwise I might just go down the route of buying a recognised aquarium brand online

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom