Aquarium Rocks

Jouncsen Xie

Reaction score
I had these rocks given to me but I do not know if they were in a saltwater or freshwater aquarium before. Can I put a rock from a saltwater aquarium into a freshwater aquarium? Also, what kind of rock is this? Is it safe?

Attachments

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This has always made me wonder, could i potentially put in live rock and live sand in a freshwater tank to cycle it? And if not what about dead rock alone? Who does it change water chemisty?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ms rose said:
This has always made me wonder, could i potentially put in live rock and live sand in a freshwater tank to cycle it? And if not what about dead rock alone? Who does it change water chemisty?
No, live rock/sand dies if you put it in fresh water. It does not harbor BB. If you want to use live rock in a FW tank, you still need to cycle your tank.
It does mess with your chemistry a bit. Basically the oppisite of driftwood. It will release minerals into your water and raise your ph.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm, this could be a great thing for my snail tank, its cycling now with pure bottled ammonia, where could i get some dead rock lol. And if my tap is about 7.2 ph would it get me to 8.2 or less?
SORRY op, I hope you don't mind me hijacking you post, I will not ask anything else here, just curious to know how dead rock effects fw tank. Hope you don't mind

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would boil it to be safe, but from the sounds of it, it's ok to put in fw as long as your ok with a hardness rise. I'm just learning this so I'm not 100 percent sure if boiling will prevent this from happening, hmm, I can't imagine boiling would stop it from tpraising the hardness of the water but boiling will kill anything harmful for the tank.

Jouncsen Xie

Reaction score
Mmm okay thanks!
Ms rose said:
I would boil it to be safe, but from the sounds of it, it's ok to put in fw as long as your ok with a hardness rise. I'm just learning this so I'm not 100 percent sure if boiling will prevent this from happening, hmm, I can't imagine boiling would stop it from tpraising the hardness of the water but boiling will kill anything harmful for the tank.
Making the hardness rise means the pH is rising so if I just put some API pH lower then wouldn’t it be fine?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes ph is what im talking about, but yes thats fine. Higher ph isnt bad unless you need it lower, but what you asked is fine, it will be just fine. Just keep eyes on ph, good luck. Be sure to boil and cool first befor adding to tank, but once they are in im sure they will look great

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom