Aquarium Rocks?

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!
Before I buy my plants, driftwood, rocks and sand tomorrow, I was wondering whether if there are different types of rocks that can alter the water parameters of a tank?
Also, will smooth rocks from a fish store be okay for a beginner aquarium?
Thanks!

Bizarro252

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, some rocks can raise hardness/PH, and some woods can lower PH, what kind of fish are you looking to stock?

OP
XenoMarc

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
DoubleDutch said:
Think most will work Marc.
I get all my from nature
Thanks for the reply. It's cuz in one of my local fish stores, the rocks there are very different. For example, some are green, some are white, some are smooth, some are rough, some are hard, some are quite soft (like chalk or something); and I don't know if they affect the water in the tank

Bizarro252

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
XenoMarc said:
Thanks for the reply. It's cuz in one of my local fish stores, the rocks there are very different. For example, some are green, some are white, some are smooth, some are rough, some are hard, some are quite soft (like chalk or something); and I don't know if they affect the water in the tank
I might stay away from the crumbly chalky ones

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Put some vinegar on the rock. If it bubbles it will alter Ph, if it doesn't then it's safe.

They might think you're a bit weird if you do that in the store though lol

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Popular aquarium rocks like lace rock and texas holey rock will raise your ph. That's not necessarily a bad thing but if you don't want it being altered then you should shy away from it. Other common rocks like slate, river rocks, and volcano rock usually do not have any influence on water parameters.

New Threads