Aquarium Rocks?

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello!
    Before I buy my plants, driftwood, rocks and sand tomorrow, I was wondering whether if there are different types of rocks that can alter the water parameters of a tank?
    Also, will smooth rocks from a fish store be okay for a beginner aquarium?
    Thanks! :)

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Think most will work Marc.
    I get all my from nature

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Yes, some rocks can raise hardness/PH, and some woods can lower PH, what kind of fish are you looking to stock?

4. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the reply. :) It's cuz in one of my local fish stores, the rocks there are very different. For example, some are green, some are white, some are smooth, some are rough, some are hard, some are quite soft (like chalk or something); and I don't know if they affect the water in the tank

5. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I might stay away from the crumbly chalky ones :)

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

mmm chalk isn't right.
    Tell them you need rocks that won't affect water.

7. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for tip. :)
    I might be planning to stock some fish like ember tetras, honey/dwarf gouramis, BN pleco, sterbai cories, kuhli loaches, neon dwarf rainbows, rummynose tetras idk yet still thinking

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Put some vinegar on the rock. If it bubbles it will alter Ph, if it doesn't then it's safe.

They might think you're a bit weird if you do that in the store though lol

9. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Popular aquarium rocks like lace rock and texas holey rock will raise your ph. That's not necessarily a bad thing but if you don't want it being altered then you should shy away from it. Other common rocks like slate, river rocks, and volcano rock usually do not have any influence on water parameters.