Aquarium Rock Safe?

Daniel Nebushkow

Hey guys.
So I picked up some sweet rocks from a creek that come off of a mineral hot spring. I know that using outside rocks is a risk and all because of fluctuations in pH. However I've been letting one of the rocks sit in a bucket of tap water in which the pH was 7.6. On day 3 of this test the pH was 8.2. On day 6 it was also 8.2. The pH in my tank is 8.0. is it safe to use this rock or is there more to it because of the minerals from the hot spring?

MotherLizard

Would also suggest perhaps dropping some vinegar on the rock to see if any bubbling/reactions occur. This can usually indicate some unsafe minerals you don't want in your tank

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

Would also suggest perhaps dropping some vinegar on the rock to see if any bubbling/reactions occur. This can usually indicate some unsafe minerals you don't want in your tank
I did put some vinegar on it and it did bubble

MotherLizard

Usually that means that it can screw with your pH and/or hardness, you've obviously already tested for pH swings.

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

Usually that means that it can screw with your pH and/or hardness, you've obviously already tested for pH swings.
Yes. And the pH is 0.2 above mine so would it be ok then?

MotherLizard

Should be fine, just as with all things in this hobby it seems, keep an eye on it

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

Should be fine, just as with all things in this hobby it seems, keep an eye on it
Ok. Sweet. They are quite cool rocks so I was hoping they would work out. They're a tan-ish colour with a bunch of holes and stuff everywhere from the creek corroding it away I guess

Hunter1

Well Known
I would still boil them.

I did the same test, in a bucket of water for a week, test PH. I think.2 will be fine but I would monitor PH for a few weeks.

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

I would still boil them.

I did the same test, in a bucket of water for a week, test PH. I think.2 will be fine but I would monitor PH for a few weeks.
Sounds reasonable to me

MotherLizard

Just be careful boiling, if the rock has an air pocket, it can prove to have some very.... explosive results

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

Just be careful boiling, if the rock has an air pocket, it can prove to have some very.... explosive results
Yikes! Do you know why?

MotherLizard

Water or air on the inside gets super hot pushing outwards, then boom, no more rock. Just keep an eye on it and don't let it sit for too long. It's an extreme case scenario, just thought would throw a headsup

Hunter1

Well Known
I’ve boiled both quartz and lava many times with no issues.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
The fwct that it did fuzz and raised the Ph in the bucket, they must contain calcium.
But if your Ph is already that high it might not cause a problem.

I'd do the same test you did but then in a bucket full of tankwater instead of tapwater.

OP
Daniel Nebushkow

Daniel Nebushkow

The fwct that it did fuzz and raised the Ph in the bucket, they must contain calcium.
But if your Ph is already that high it might not cause a problem.

I'd do the same test you did but then in a bucket full of tankwater instead of tapwater.
I will try that as well

Similar Aquarium Threads

• evonner
  • pH
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
OhioFishKeeper

Did You Know...

Cycling a tank with fish already in it because you were unaware of the nitrogen cycle? Well lucky for you, mattgirl has a great thread on what to do:
Fish In Nitrogen Cycle Simplified

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom