Aquarium, Rinsing, Odd Smell

DivingBellSpider

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m not sure if this is the correct area, but i couldn’t find anywhere else to fit it.
Anyway, I took a 20 gallon long (which I plan on being a refugium for the SW aquarium I’ll be getting) outside to rinse it out with my garden hose, and it had a weird smell to it, that I noticed as I was rinsing it. It smelled very rubbery, which was not concerning, but the water came out whitish, and when I inhaled inside the tank, it made me cough.
I’ve never used the hose for anything other than water, but I hadn’t used the hose in a long time. I think the whitish color is probably because my water is pretty hard, but has anyone had that experience before? Should I still use the aquarium for the fuge, or would that be risking it?

CaptainAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m not sure if this is the correct area, but i couldn’t find anywhere else to fit it.
Anyway, I took a 20 gallon long (which I plan on being a refugium for the SW aquarium I’ll be getting) outside to rinse it out with my garden hose, and it had a weird smell to it, that I noticed as I was rinsing it. It smelled very rubbery, which was not concerning, but the water came out whitish, and when I inhaled inside the tank, it made me cough.
I’ve never used the hose for anything other than water, but I hadn’t used the hose in a long time. I think the whitish color is probably because my water is pretty hard, but has anyone had that experience before? Should I still use the aquarium for the fuge, or would that be risking it?
Maybe rinse it again with a different source of water and see if it does the same thing. If the tank is old the silicone might be starting to flake of, if that’s the case than you can just re-seal it with new silicone.

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My hose has an odd smell when I first run it if I haven't used it in awhile. I usually just run water through it first for awhile and the smell dissipates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom