Aquarium Recycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by matt 63, Apr 21, 2018.

1. matt 63

matt 63Valued MemberMember

How low does my ammonia level have to be before using tetra safe start? My a ammonia level is at 4.0 and nitrate is 0. Had the tank running for four months then my filter went out , when I got the new one set up the ammonia level was off the charts, I tried API quick start, but didn't seem to work, just really need some help?

2. Zigi Zig

Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Start with changing water today at 50% and follow everyday after 25% until your drop level to 0 you could use something like ammonia guard or prime to control it however water changes is best way to lower you level.. (do not change more than 50% if you do so your tank could go to new cycle syndrome )

3. OP
    OP
    matt 63

Ok, but how do I know if my tank has gone into new cycle syndrome?

4. Zigi Zig

Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

You might already have new cycle syndrome well also known as the "break in cycle," the cause of the high levels of ammonia in a tank are due to the lack of beneficial bacteria in the water bacteria that keep the water levels safe by breaking down ammonia and nitrite into harmless nitrogen compounds. The aquarium water is frequently cloudy and smelly due to the excessive ammonia and nitrite levels. That happens because your filter went out.

5. OP
    OP
    matt 63

I got tetra safe start to help get bacteria in the tank, just heard that if ammonia level is to high it will kill it, guess I'll get the levels low as I can, then use it, and the tank does look cloudy on and off and smells bad. Trying to get it right quickly, so I can finish stocking it with cichlids before it's to late

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice