Aquarium Recycle

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by matt 63, Apr 23, 2018.

1. matt 63Valued MemberMember

Really need advice? My ammonia has drop from 2.0 to 0 - 0.25 really hard to tell which level it is but I think 0 within a couple days and nitrates jumped from 0.5- 40 since the ammonia had been going down and 0 nitrites. My filter went out a little over month ago, which I think caused it to recycle. So is my tank finally cycled or close to being cycled? I put tetra safe start in yesterday

2. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Close. Water change and test and you should be good.

3. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

4. matt 63Valued MemberMember

I was gonna wait at least seven days before any water changes, The ammonia started going down quickly before I added TSS in

5. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

If you are testing 0.25 0 40 then you have a cycled tank. No need to add more TSS. Change the water to get the ammonia to 0.

6. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

You ate not supposed to change water when using TSS. Please check to make sure your not giving bad advice.

7. matt 63Valued MemberMember

What should I do then, my tank is showing that its cycled, and nitrates is 40?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  8. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Just follow the instructions of TSS and do a water change when the weeks up unless it gets You can also stop feeding your fish for the rest of the week to limit the amout of waste the produce.

9. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

After keeping fish for two years I think I know something. Not to mention the OP said his nitrates went from 0.25 to 40. That tells me bacteria is converting ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. His filter was broken so some beneficial bacteria is living and present in the tank. He had a cycle bump which some of us experience from time to time when something like this situation happens. His tank was apparently cycle I would hope but he or she did not state. You might have missed read this post. TSS should only be used for maybe a few days or week at the most. No need to go through cycling procedures.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Simply change the water. This will lower them to safer levels of nitrates. 40 isn't bad but I never let a tank go past that.

11. matt 63Valued MemberMember

The tank was cycled before the filter went out, the ammonia level was off the charts so I thought the tank was cycling again, now the ammonia is 0 and never had nitrites show up during this process

12. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Might have been enough bacteria to convert it with it you knowing. Adding TSS like you said would do this too. Glad to hear it's back to normal.

Was the filter still wet at all ?

13. matt 63Valued MemberMember

I think I did have enough bacteria to convert it, cause the ammonia went down to 0 just the day after adding the tss. It took about four major water changes to get the ammonia down some then it started going doin on its own and been around 0 for three days, so I hope it's alright to finish stocking my tank?

14. musserump09Well Known MemberMember

Wait...you have had no fish during this process? Tank has been fishless the entire time? If so we need to back up a step...

15. matt 63Valued MemberMember

I have only five fish in it and want to get more

16. matt 63Valued MemberMember

The cichlids have been in there for about five weeks, before that I had goldfish and moved them to another tank due to ick and filter crash, The tank only went about two weeks without fish but that was five weeks ago and the old filter stayed in the tank till I got the new one put in it just had a really slow water flow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice