Aquarium Recycle

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
Really need advice? My ammonia has drop from 2.0 to 0 - 0.25 really hard to tell which level it is but I think 0 within a couple days and nitrates jumped from 0.5- 40 since the ammonia had been going down and 0 nitrites. My filter went out a little over month ago, which I think caused it to recycle. So is my tank finally cycled or close to being cycled? I put tetra safe start in yesterday
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
matt 63

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
If you added TSS don't do a water change or use anything to detox ammonia. TSS is made for a fish in cycle.

Heres a good link about using TSS
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart
I was gonna wait at least seven days before any water changes, The ammonia started going down quickly before I added TSS in
 

musserump09

Well Known
Member
Messages
847
Reaction score
141
Location
JAX, FL
Experience
3 years
If you are testing 0.25 0 40 then you have a cycled tank. No need to add more TSS. Change the water to get the ammonia to 0.
 

smee82

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
6,128
Reaction score
2,806
Location
Tianjin china
Experience
More than 10 years
musserump09 said:
If you are testing 0.25 0 40 then you have a cycled tank. No need to add more TSS. Change the water to get the ammonia to 0.
You ate not supposed to change water when using TSS. Please check to make sure your not giving bad advice.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
matt 63

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
smee82 said:
You ate not supposed to change water when using TSS. Please check to make sure your not giving bad advice.
What should I do then, my tank is showing that its cycled, and nitrates is 40?
 

smee82

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
6,128
Reaction score
2,806
Location
Tianjin china
Experience
More than 10 years
Just follow the instructions of TSS and do a water change when the weeks up unless it gets You can also stop feeding your fish for the rest of the week to limit the amout of waste the produce.
 

musserump09

Well Known
Member
Messages
847
Reaction score
141
Location
JAX, FL
Experience
3 years
After keeping fish for two years I think I know something. Not to mention the OP said his nitrates went from 0.25 to 40. That tells me bacteria is converting ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. His filter was broken so some beneficial bacteria is living and present in the tank. He had a cycle bump which some of us experience from time to time when something like this situation happens. His tank was apparently cycle I would hope but he or she did not state. You might have missed read this post. TSS should only be used for maybe a few days or week at the most. No need to go through cycling procedures.
 

musserump09

Well Known
Member
Messages
847
Reaction score
141
Location
JAX, FL
Experience
3 years
matt 63 said:
What should I do then, my tank is showing that its cycled, and nitrates is 40?
Simply change the water. This will lower them to safer levels of nitrates. 40 isn't bad but I never let a tank go past that.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
matt 63

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
musserump09 said:
After keeping fish for two years I think I know something. Not to mention the OP said his nitrates went from 0.25 to 40. That tells me bacteria is converting ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. His filter was broken so some beneficial bacteria is living and present in the tank. He had a cycle bump which some of us experience from time to time when something like this situation happens. His tank was apparently cycle I would hope but he or she did not state. You might have missed read this post. TSS should only be used for maybe a few days or week at the most. No need to go through cycling procedures.
The tank was cycled before the filter went out, the ammonia level was off the charts so I thought the tank was cycling again, now the ammonia is 0 and never had nitrites show up during this process
 

musserump09

Well Known
Member
Messages
847
Reaction score
141
Location
JAX, FL
Experience
3 years
matt 63 said:
The tank was cycled before the filter went out, the ammonia level was off the charts so I thought the tank was cycling again, now the ammonia is 0 and never had nitrites show up during this process
Might have been enough bacteria to convert it with it you knowing. Adding TSS like you said would do this too. Glad to hear it's back to normal.

Was the filter still wet at all ?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
matt 63

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
musserump09 said:
Might have been enough bacteria to convert it with it you knowing. Adding TSS like you said would do this too. Glad to hear it's back to normal.

Was the filter still wet at all ?
I think I did have enough bacteria to convert it, cause the ammonia went down to 0 just the day after adding the tss. It took about four major water changes to get the ammonia down some then it started going doin on its own and been around 0 for three days, so I hope it's alright to finish stocking my tank?
 

musserump09

Well Known
Member
Messages
847
Reaction score
141
Location
JAX, FL
Experience
3 years
matt 63 said:
I think I did have enough bacteria to convert it, cause the ammonia went down to 0 just the day after adding the tss. It took about four major water changes to get the ammonia down some then it started going doin on its own and been around 0 for three days, so I hope it's alright to finish stocking my tank?
Wait...you have had no fish during this process? Tank has been fishless the entire time? If so we need to back up a step...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
matt 63

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
musserump09 said:
Wait...you have had no fish during this process? Tank has been fishless the entire time? If so we need to back up a step...
I have only five fish in it and want to get more
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
matt 63

matt 63

Active Member
Member
Messages
125
Reaction score
21
Location
Mississippi
Experience
1 year
musserump09 said:
Wait...you have had no fish during this process? Tank has been fishless the entire time? If so we need to back up a step...
The cichlids have been in there for about five weeks, before that I had goldfish and moved them to another tank due to ick and filter crash, The tank only went about two weeks without fish but that was five weeks ago and the old filter stayed in the tank till I got the new one put in it just had a really slow water flow
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
236
Guests online
3,178
Total visitors
3,414

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom