Aquarium rack

• Thread starter Sarahboone811
  • Start date

Sarahboone811

So I was thinking of getting a muscle rack or something of the sort from somewhere like Lowe’s or homedepot maybe to hold 2 20g long tanks and a 10 gallon tank, does this shelf seem like it’d do well for that?

if not any suggestions? Thanks!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well Known
No, I don't think so it says it can hold 440 lbs. if you look up the weight of 20g tanks filled are 225 lbs. And 10g tanks weighs 111 lbs. And that doesn't include decor.

d23perry

Looks good to me. It actually holds up to 440lbs per shelf. Total weight capacity is 2200lbs.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
If it does hold 440lbs/shelf you should be ok. I have been shopping around myself to put my 3 10g betta tanks on.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Sarahboone811 said:
So I was thinking of getting a muscle rack or something of the sort from somewhere like Lowe’s or homedepot maybe to hold 2 20g long tanks and a 10 gallon tank, does this shelf seem like it’d do well for that?

I got this at Walmart. 600lbs per shelf 3000lb maximum. NSF so doesnt trust easy. Can put plywood on to sturdy up. I have 20 longs and 29gal on now but fits 2 10gal per shelf perfect. I've done that too.

Also comes apart if you want 2 stands.
20200805_061706.jpg

20200805_061639.jpg

Screenshot_20200805-062051_Chrome.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Looks like it should hold, but with a long tank watch for bowing under the middle of the tank. I also think that a piece of plywood would help prevent that.

I just don't trust those pegs for non-bolt construction.

aquachris

I've been toying with this:

Maybe less wide tho :) I'd like to get 48" or a couple inches more. But the biggest problem I keep finding in many of them, is the middle shelf on them has to be used to connect the rails so it gets fixed right in the middle - I want something a bit different...

1596639313593.png

Gone

Well Known
Sarahboone811 said:

That looks like a rack I have that holds three 20L's. It's sturdy and works great. In fact I bought two more yesterday to upgrade my fish room (60" high, I'm going to set up horizontal).

I was going to buy the steel wire racks, but did some checking and saw reviews saying the wire racks bow over time even with loads less than the stated maximum.

I'd recommend cutting some plywood for the shelving or use 2 x 4's. The racks come with particle board shelving what will bubble and crumble if it gets wet.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
I have one of them. Currently holding 5 tanks. Works great. Going to be putting a 20 gal long on it and I’m not worried about the weight at all.

Attachments

Zach72202

I was going to buy one of those too, but my only concern would be long term if that chipboard gets wet it could rot and sag, and with 110 lbs of tank water and fish on wood like that isn't the best idea imo.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Zach72202 said:
I was going to buy one of those too, but my only concern would be long term if that chipboard gets wet it could rot and sag, and with 110 lbs of tank water and fish on wood like that isn't the best idea imo.
Same actually. I’m moving in a month and I’m switching to stained and sealed plywood instead.

Gone

Well Known
I'd recommend replacing the particle board shelving with plywood. I put two coats of black paint on the particle board, and I wipe off every drip right away, but it's still bubbling. As I upgrade my fish room I'm going to switch to plywood shelves.

Megaanemp

Well Known
Sarahboone811 said:

I’d just make sure you anchor it to the wall and you should be good:)

Sarahboone811

FreshwaterHG said:
I have one of them. Currently holding 5 tanks. Works great. Going to be putting a 20 gal long on it and I’m not worried about the weight at all.
Hi! Do you have a link or a name for the shelf you have? :)

Top Bottom