Aquarium Plants

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
I got 2 bunches of taller plants from Petco. One bunch is rubber banded at the bottom. Do I keep the rubber band on and plant them in sand or remove it and plant the different stems? They are not Java ferns or Anubis. I have those and I tied them to rocks so the roots are above the water line. Any other suggestions with the Java ferns and anubis besides tying to rocks?
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
Usually the ones that are held together with a rubber band are floating type plants. I would take the rubber bands off and float the plants. Once riots develope, plant them.

But a picture would allow for more accurate advice.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Hunter1 said:
I would take the rubber bands off and plant individually.
Ok good that's what I just did lol. Thanks

How do you gravel clean around plants? Do you have to replant them every time you clean the tank? I feel bad for my fish when I do stuff lol
 

123

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
94
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Photobelle said:
How do you gravel clean around plants? Do you have to replant them every time you clean the tank? I feel bad for my fish when I do stuff lol
I try to pinch a little the outside end of the vacuum tube with my finger to lower the flow when going around plants. But most of the time I end up with adjusting the plant anyway with hand. That's also why I recently bought me one of the long aquascaping tweezers so I dont stick whole hand there all the time. All I can say, watch out to not catch fish in these tweezers while focusing on plants ... the fish is fine, but I bet it wont be so curious about the tweezers next time I put them in the water
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Katarina said:
I try to pinch a little the outside end of the vacuum tube with my finger to lower the flow when going around plants. But most of the time I end up with adjusting the plant anyway with hand. That's also why I recently bought me one of the long aquascaping tweezers so I dont stick whole hand there all the time. All I can say, watch out to not catch fish in these tweezers while focusing on plants ... the fish is fine, but I bet it wont be so curious about the tweezers next time I put them in the water
Ok! I am assuming the plants will root so they won't come out as easily as they do now. I like the real plants but they are alot of work while I an trying to get the new tank setup
 

123

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
94
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Photobelle said:
Ok! I am assuming the plants will root so they won't come out as easily as they do now. I like the real plants but they are alot of work while I an trying to get the new tank setup
Oh I am also new to the hobby, but I love the look of the live plants and would not go plastic ever I think Just keep in mind it can be good for the fishes to reorganize their tank once in a while anyway so they dont get too bored of the same little space anyway So your fishes might appreciate the change up once a month or so Also, I read in a post recently that once in a while a deep cleaning of the gravel should be doe with the vacuum. This means to lift up even the bottom layers of the gravel and clean everywhere even under decorations and plants. This is because some really poisonous gas bubble could otherwise accumulate in the deeper level of gravel and could cause poisoning once it get released in the water area.
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
With a sand substrate I just hold the vacuum a few inches away and watch as the crud gets sucked up.

On gravel, I don’t deep clean within 2-3” of the plants, just lightly disturb the gravel.

When they are fully rooted in a month or 2, it won’t be an issue but initially just backfilling during a water change an uproot them.

Katarina said:
Oh I am also new to the hobby, but I love the look of the live plants and would not go plastic ever I think Just keep in mind it can be good for the fishes to reorganize their tank once in a while anyway so they dont get too bored of the same little space anyway So your fishes might appreciate the change up once a month or so Also, I read in a post recently that once in a while a deep cleaning of the gravel should be doe with the vacuum. This means to lift up even the bottom layers of the gravel and clean everywhere even under decorations and plants. This is because some really poisonous gas bubble could otherwise accumulate in the deeper level of gravel and could cause poisoning once it get released in the water area.
Shouldn’t happen under plants since the roots are using the nitrogen from the crud to grow, converting it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Hunter1 said:
Shouldn’t happen under plants since the roots are using the nitrogen from the crud to grow, converting it.
Good to know so just getting the surface stuff off from a few inches away is good.
 

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Messages
2,417
Reaction score
1,340
Points
148
Experience
1 year
With sand, which I think you said you had? Almost nothing gets under it.

With gravel, i’m more worried about cutting roots close to the plant than deep cleaning next to them.

Just my opinion.
 

McGoo

Valued Member
Messages
247
Reaction score
105
Points
73
Experience
3 years
Photobelle said:
Ok! I am assuming the plants will root so they won't come out as easily as they do now. I like the real plants but they are alot of work while I an trying to get the new tank setup
I agree that real plants are "alot" of work at the beginning, but keep at it and you'll see it'll get easier with time. You won't have to worry as much about uprooting them
once they really take root. Be prepared though, most of the time plants in new environments will melt and lose their leaves almost making you think there's no hope for them. Most of the time they'll come back even stronger though.
 

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Messages
2,682
Reaction score
1,849
Points
208
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a type of ludwigia.

Definitely remove the rubber band, jam them into the substrate and theyll shoot out roots. Get some root tabs and put a couple into the substrate near them.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom