Aquarium Plants? - Page 2

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah they would be fine. If you want to use fertilizers you can add root tabs or liquid fertilizers so you don't need to use a dirt substrate.

OP
XenoMarc

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys! I also forgot to mention:
Would the plants you guys recommended be okay in a sand substrate?
Do they require root tabs? If yes, how often?

OP
XenoMarc

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BottomDweller said:
They don't need root tabs
Okay thanks! But if I do use root tabs or liquid fertiliser, how often should I add it to enable plant growth and prevent the plants from dying?

MaddieTaylah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can make DIY root tabs if you want to save money. All you need is medicine capsules and organic fertiliser. I use these and I replace them every few months with about two in each plant pot. In your case you could put a few under each plant in the substrate.

There are also Seachem flourish tabs that are quite popular which have to be replaced every 3 months.

I'm not sure about the liquid fertiliser.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also I just want to add that you will probably need to get another filter for the juwel rio 240. The filter that comes with it is really insufficient. I added 2 filters along with the one that came with the tank.

OP
XenoMarc

XenoMarc

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BottomDweller said:
Also I just want to add that you will probably need to get another filter for the juwel rio 240. The filter that comes with it is really insufficient. I added 2 filters along with the one that came with the tank.
Thanks for the tip and how long did it take to cycle ur tank?

MaddieTaylah said:
You can make DIY root tabs if you want to save money. All you need is medicine capsules and organic fertiliser. I use these and I replace them every few months with about two in each plant pot. In your case you could put a few under each plant in the substrate.

There are also Seachem flourish tabs that are quite popular which have to be replaced every 3 months.

I'm not sure about the liquid fertiliser.
Thanks for the tip

Kaelico

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Anubias and java ferns can also be attached to rocks or driftwood with some super glue or a rubber band. They grow best that way in my experience. I've never used root tabs for those plants and they grow fine but you could try it and see if it works better for you.

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom