Aquarium Plants? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by XenoMarc, Apr 7, 2017.

1. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Yeah they would be fine. If you want to use fertilizers you can add root tabs or liquid fertilizers so you don't need to use a dirt substrate.

2. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

XenoMarcValued MemberMember

Hey guys! I also forgot to mention:
    Would the plants you guys recommended be okay in a sand substrate?
    Do they require root tabs? If yes, how often?

3. BottomDweller

They don't need root tabs

4. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Okay thanks! But if I do use root tabs or liquid fertiliser, how often should I add it to enable plant growth and prevent the plants from dying?

5. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

You can make DIY root tabs if you want to save money. All you need is medicine capsules and organic fertiliser. I use these and I replace them every few months with about two in each plant pot. In your case you could put a few under each plant in the substrate.

There are also Seachem flourish tabs that are quite popular which have to be replaced every 3 months.

I'm not sure about the liquid fertiliser.

6. BottomDweller

Also I just want to add that you will probably need to get another filter for the juwel rio 240. The filter that comes with it is really insufficient. I added 2 filters along with the one that came with the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the tip and how long did it take to cycle ur tank? :)

Thanks for the tip :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  8. BottomDweller

It took just under 2 weeks. I used TSS (lots of it) and a little filter media from another tank to speed it up. I added fish food as a source of ammonia. I also had live plants.

9. Kaelico

KaelicoValued MemberMember

Anubias and java ferns can also be attached to rocks or driftwood with some super glue or a rubber band. They grow best that way in my experience. I've never used root tabs for those plants and they grow fine but you could try it and see if it works better for you.

10. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Good luck!