Aquarium Plants?

1. XenoMarc

XenoMarc Valued Member Member

Hello! Before I buy my first aquarium plants in the future, I have a few questions:

Do plants have specific water parameters required?
    Can you add plants at the start of a cycle?

Thanks! :)

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Some plants do better in some conditions than others. Not all aquarium plants would do well in a pond for example. But they really aren't picky.
    Yes plants are fine at the start of a cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for all the help you have given me! :)

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

Some plants are low tech and don't require too much fuss & others require co2, fertilisers, added nutrients etc. when in a tank.

Also, plants are fine during cycling.

5. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the tips! Do anubias and java ferns require any of those stuff like co2 etc? :)

6. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Always start your focus on the lighting they are getting. Unless a very high tech category yours will probably be classed low light. So java ferns, anubias, java moss, bacopa, anacharis and most cryptocoryne (crypts). Beyond that most are pretty resialiant. You should look up how they get planted though.

Now as for cycling, if you add them to a small tank to the point you don't see 70% of the bottom... Yes that alters cycling. Otherwise its basically a filter helper.

Welcome to plants!

7. MaddieTaylah

I'm no expert in live plants however I believe that those two are fairly low tech and just need a regular light.

8. S

S_Fish85 New Member Member

Most plants will do fine between 6.5 and 7.5 pH. Water harness should typically be soft to moderately soft. You will just have to research the plants you would like to keep and try to match those to your current water perimeters. There are some undemanding plants that are pretty tolerant to most conditions and very easy to grow.

As far as plants at the beginning of a cycle. Yes you can. You may not see the usual spike in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate you usually would see during a cycle. Plants a very efficient bio filters and depending on how many plants you have in a certain tank and what size bio load you have the plans may remove most ammonia produced before it hits your filter thus your bio filter may grow bacteria slower than the traditional cycle.

9. BottomDweller

No those plants are really easy and don't need any special care

10. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Hey guys! This is the aquarium I have but we haven't started cycling yet:  

Are the beginner plants suggested fine with these lights n' stuff and do they need any like fertilisers or co2? Thanks!

11. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

Also consider if your plants will be tasty to your fish (if you are getting a goldfish they'll nibble and dig up some plants more than others.)

I have anubias and java fern in my tank - I'm especially happy with the look and ease of the anubias - in my opinion you can't go wrong with those.

12. BottomDweller

I have a juwel rio 240 too! I have anubias, java fern, salvinia, java moss and loads more that I can't remember the names of. They all do well with the lights that come with the tank and no Co2 or fertilizers

13. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Thanks for the tip! The fish I'm planning to buy might be stuff like ember tetras, honey gouramis, sterbai cories, kuhli loaches, BN pleco and stuff idk yet. Do u think they'll be okay around plants or a no no? :)

14. BottomDweller

Those fish should be fine with plants. It's mostly goldfish and large cichlids that are destructive towards plants.

15. MaddieTaylah

Sounds like an awesome tank already! The fish you listed shouldn't effect the plants.

16. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Okay thanks! Since we have the same tank, is there any way to change the colours of the lights or does it require like a day night cycle thingy? :)

Thanks for the help :)

17. BottomDweller

You can get different lights but the lighting it comes with can only be on one colour.

18. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Will plants be alright around neon dwarf rainbowfish as well?

19. MaddieTaylah

Yep.

20. OP
    OP
    XenoMarc

Hello! I forgot to mention if the plant you guys recommended would be alright in a sand substrate?