Aquarium plants remove more ammonia than nitrate Important 

Vash

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I was wondering if aquarium plants use only nitrate or all of the 3 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

I came across this article, and it claimed the the plants prefer ammonia over nitrite and nitrate.

According to this article, aquarium plants need to convert nitrite and nitrate to ammonia before they can use it. So they would first suck up the ammonia if it is available, then go for the second and third choices due to it requires energy to convert them into something useful.

I guess a heavily planted aquarium take off lots of loads off the bio-filter.

To those who have heavily planted aquarium, how often do you have to change water before nitrate build up to a high level(40+)?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes that article is accurate. I read that a very long time ago & have carefully monitored many planted aquariums to confirm the results for myself.

It is true that having plenty of plants will help take the load of the bio-filter but it is not a reason to skimp on biological filtration. You should have enough biological filtration to take care of fish wastes even if there were no plants. How much of an effect plants have on waste levels is a highly variable thing & you must take into account plant varietes, growth rates, preferred method of feeding, overall helath, nutrient supply, lighting & co2 supply. Unhealthy or slow growing plants do not suck up as mcuh fish wastes as healthy or fast growing plants.

I've done many planted tanks & in all honesty I've never had the slightest hint of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in any of them. Despite that fact I still carry out weekly or even twice weekly water changes of at least 15%. With planted aquariums the water changes introduce trace minerals for the continued health of the plants & fish. Without these water changes your plant health will suffer & that will effect their uptake of fish wastes. DO NOT get tempted to do less water changes just because you have a planted tank, it won't work out the way you think it will.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nutter said:
I've done many planted tanks & in all honesty I've never had the slightest hint of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in any of them. Despite that fact I still carry out weekly or even twice weekly water changes of at least 15%. With planted aquariums the water changes introduce trace minerals for the continued health of the plants & fish. Without these water changes your plant health will suffer & that will effect their uptake of fish wastes. DO NOT get tempted to do less water changes just because you have a planted tank, it won't work out the way you think it will.
That is very informative, I would have never thought about the minerals in water, and doing water changes FOR your plants.

Thank you so much nutter +1 for sure on that info!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads