Aquarium plants for a tall tank?

Valleriani
I have a Lido 200, it's a really tall tank (71x51x80cm). We have a good amount of stem plants and they work fine, but I'm wondering about if there are any good aquarium plants that could span the height of the tank. Most of our plants only go half way right now (java ferns/larger anubias/etc).

I know some people use other plants (not aquarium plants), but I don't really know where I should even start with it. Any advice? Thanks!

carsonsgjs
marmaaa
Valleriani said:
I have a Lido 200, it's a really tall tank (71x51x80cm). We have a good amount of stem plants and they work fine, but I'm wondering about if there are any good aquarium plants that could span the height of the tank. Most of our plants only go half way right now (java ferns/larger anubias/etc).

I know some people use other plants (not aquarium plants), but I don't really know where I should even start with it. Any advice? Thanks!
Vals can grow really tall and are not that demanding in light (low/med). Amazon swords as well are great. You could also try Cabomba.

mc12345
carsonsgjs said:
Amazon swords would be a good plant to start with.
I have to agree. I've read they they can get up to 20 inches.

Valleriani
mc12345 said:
I have to agree. I've read they they can get up to 20 inches.
Wow really? That's crazy! I have amazon swords (at least I think they are) but I haven't seen them get crazy big like that. I'll show a picture just to know if it is one. (Sorry about the quality but should maybe be enough see?) (I have three big plants like that).

I've had them for a year+ now, they're about 25CM I would say. Pretty big. They didn't really grow super tall but they became pretty big bush wise (width wise I guess).

Maybe there's different types though.

carsonsgjs
Valleriani said:
Wow really? That's crazy! I have amazon swords (at least I think they are) but I haven't seen them get crazy big like that. I'll show a picture just to know if it is one. (Sorry about the quality but should maybe be enough see?) (I have three big plants like that).

I've had them for a year+ now, they're about 25CM I would say. Pretty big. They didn't really grow super tall but they became pretty big bush wise (width wise I guess).

Thats the one. I had a few in a similar size tank and i had to remove them as they got too big!

Dennis57
Basil
Definitely Italian or jungle vals. Here’s my 29 with Italian vals on the right and rotundifolia on the left. The vals are far outperforming the stem plants!
6B14FF72-F5BF-461C-B3B2-15DCC01D31EB.jpeg

Diane 007
I’m going to add these to the list
- apongoton ulvaceus
- crypt Balansae
-Anubias Congensis Broad
- rotala rotundifolia
- crinum calamistratum

StarGirl
Vals can get a feet long in a few days time. I've had some that were 4 ft.

mc12345
Valleriani said:

They tend to get a little bushy. Most grow to 12 inches but they can definitely grow bigger under the right conditions. I guess it depends on nutrients, substrate, lighting and water quality. I've never kept them personally though because my severum just tears everything up in my tank lol.

JLAquatics
Valleriani said:

In addition to what was said above, look no further than plants from the Aponogeton family. These bulb plants grow humongous and are very easy to grow. They will even flower for you with flower stalks sometimes growing over 4 feet long at times! Fantastic plants.

Mudminnow
JLAquatics said:
In addition to what was said above, look no further than plants from the Aponogeton family. These bulb plants grow humongous and are very easy to grow. They will even flower for you with flower stalks sometimes growing over 4 feet long at times! Fantastic plants.
Agreed. I had some Aponogeton crispus that were about 4 feet tall once. I found them easy to grow, and one of the aponogetons that doesn't seem to go through a dormant phase.

marmaaa
my amazons swords are easily 16in some are even longer. Once they settle in the tank they really take off!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom